Diaphragmatic breathing, heard of it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading on swimming tips, and ran across how we are taught to breath from our chest and not our belly. This method seems to go along with scubadiving, as you can train your self to breath with your belly more deeply... Any comments?

"Shallow Chest Breathing

Unfortunately, we continue living our lives and raising our athletes on a poor diet of shallow chest breathing habits. The good news is that the poor and ineffective breathing habits can be reversed.

Among infants, correct breathing comes naturally. Observe a baby as it breathes to see its belly rise and fall with each breath. As we grow older we are taught to suck in that gut and puff out that chest as we try to look slimmer! Such resistance to the natural breathing posture restricts oxygen intake, which can lead to numerous physical as well as emotional problems.

Shallow chest breathing invites problems by delivering less air per breath into the lungs. Less air per breath leads to higher number of breaths, putting in motion a series of physiological changes that constrict blood vessels. An imbalance between the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the lungs delivers less oxygen to the brain, the heart and the rest of the body. "

Progressive Diaphragmatic Breathing Technique Practises - Dry Land

With the help of a trained breathing coach, one has to re-learn again how to use and control the diaphragm movement correctly. The key to a DB technique is:

On Inhalation: Quick and large volume of the air be taken in. The amount of air being inhaled is always a function of the amount of the air being exhaled.

On Exhalation: A prolonged and evenly discharge of the air is maintained throughout the cycle of the motion being executed. A puffing action at the end of the exhalation phase will enable the athlete to completely empty his/her air tank (the lungs).
The DB technique must be learned and developed on land first, while the breathing process is a naturally occurring, automatic, and a reflex action. Note that during exercise and sport performance, one does not and should not ever think about their breathing action or that performance might be compromised

Sing along to oldies while driving. Do so loudly and with verve. Be sure to extend yourself on the long and high notes. If you sing as badly as I do be alone or with someone who has a good sense of humor.

Go skin-diving and concentrate on long air exchanging breaths to negate the dead volume in the tube.

These 2 will do great things for your respiration patterns and diaphragm control. When diving you will be the master of your air movement.

Pete

fisherdvm:
I was reading on swimming tips, and ran across how we are taught to breath from our chest and not our belly. This method seems to go along with scubadiving, as you can train your self to breath with your belly more deeply... Any comments?"

Pretty standard stuff for athletes. Pick up any beginner's book about running and they'll tell you the same thing. One useful exercise: lie on your back with a small book on your stomach, and watch it rise and fall as you breathe.

Musicians use this technique as well. If you are breathing correctly when seated in a chair or standing your shoulders should not move. I knew 13 years of training was going to come in handy some day.:D

With a bit of practice in bed each night, anyone can do away with the learned habit of shallow chest breathing and start feeling the effects of diaphragmatic breathing. I even place a large bag of rice over my abdomen to make my diaphragm work harder. Effective breath training, so easy even a caveman can do it.:D

IANTD's literature advocates diaphragmatic breathing.

Old musician's trick...get a 1" PVC fitting, sterilize it and put one end in your mouth, teeth on top. Breathe in hard and fast...you'll now know what diaphragmatic breathing feels like.

freediver:
With a bit of practice in bed each night, anyone can do away with the learned habit of shallow chest breathing and start feeling the effects of diaphragmatic breathing. ......... Effective breath training, so easy even a caveman can do it.:D

Visions of the Geico Caveman starting a "Whine and Cheese"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom