Did a dive in Eastport, Maine today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the posting. I live in New Brunswick, across from Maine, and we go to Deer Island all year long. I've always been curious to know what was across the whirlpool.

-André in Fredericton

andre14:
Thanks for the posting. I live in New Brunswick, across from Maine, and we go to Deer Island all year long. I've always been curious to know what was across the whirlpool.

-André in Fredericton

I hit Deer Island a few times each year when the ferries are running. The marine life is nearly the same, possibly a bit more abundant on the Canadian side. The US side does have many more basket stars and more soft coral though.

DSDO

Alan

Cool Maine divers... Never thought I would hear of diving in Maine on the internet. So do they still commercially harvest sea urchins ? I am originally from Portland and from 1991 to 95 picked urchins for a living , is was quite adventerous , I wish I could still do that it was alot of work but freedom and fun as you got to work with your buds all the time ... Nice report

-Andy

amrozek:
Cool Maine divers... Never thought I would hear of diving in Maine on the internet. So do they still commercially harvest sea urchins ? I am originally from Portland and from 1991 to 95 picked urchins for a living , is was quite adventerous , I wish I could still do that it was alot of work but freedom and fun as you got to work with your buds all the time ... Nice report

-Andy

Urchins can still be found but the fishery is mainly desimated.

Diving in the "Atlantic North East", why not?

Pete

Whe i went to a Reef cass by Bob Michelson he nothing but superlatives for the marine life he saw diving Eastport. It's on our to-do list as well.

With some advance planning it could be a nice NELD rally!

Pete

amrozek:

-Andy

They've actually had a pretty good season lately which is making up for a poor season this past fall. My summer home in Lubec is just down the road from the fill station used by the local urchin divers so I get the scuttlebutt from time to time.

The divers really do enjoy the freedom but it indeed hard work. They are a really tough bunch and they are hard on their equipment. Sometimes when I find a site heavy in urchins I let the divers know about it which they appreciate.

DSDO

Alan

Back
Top Bottom