did anyone dive Cape Ann this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always thought lake diving was a problem because of the poor visibility. Is that not the case?

johlar:
I've always thought lake diving was a problem because of the poor visibility. Is that not the case?

depends on lake.. If you dive small pond like hathaway after a class just did skills trng, silt out. If large lake like Winni, newfound lake, not the case.

I heard a saying, you dive ocean for what you see, and dive lakes for what you find. (or something like that..) What's nice about diving lakes is you don't have to rinse gear off afterwards and dive with less weight.

johlar:

Some of the lakes down this way easily get 20+ vis. It depends on the lake structure, how it's fed, etc. The one problem with lakes (besides some of them being boring, as noted earlier) is getting used to that tricky thermocline. Overall, I like salt water better than fresh. But in the end, all that counts is finding enough water to dive in, right?

My dive buddy says it best, when you get good visibility in a lake, you can see nothing from further away.

Green_Manelishi:
That's why God made lakes. I did two nice dives in a lake on Sat. Even saw saw some fishes.

You can dive in lakes? Next thing you'll try to tell me is that you can dive Hathaway Pond. Oh I hadn't read far enough into the thread. You can also dive in your bathtub but why bother. Now before I get smacked around I am just kidding, it hurts to admit this but I dove Hathaway this year and viz was great but the therm will get you.

johlar:

Depending on the lake the clarity of the water (assuming you do not stir it all up) can be quite good but the vis less than ideal unless you carry a light. The reason for that is the dark silt/muck on the bottom at "depth"; it does not reflect light very well.

At 80feet in Newfound Lake it was dark enough to be almost a night dive. At the base (again, at least 80 feet) of the wall off Clarke Point in Lake Winnepesaukee it was the same situation. In Brooks Pond (Spencer, MA) at a depth of 15 feet the bottom was visible only if I was hovering about a foot above it.

In all cases the water was very clear, but very dark.

I tried to go diving before work this morning... no luck.
The wind had been low for at least 24 hours, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Back Beach was really rough, Pebble beach had about 4-ft waves, and even Stage Fort Park had about 3-ft waves.

Boy, am I glad to be at work now ... NOT!

cekberg:
I tried to go diving before work this morning... no luck.
The wind had been low for at least 24 hours, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Back Beach was really rough, Pebble beach had about 4-ft waves, and even Stage Fort Park had about 3-ft waves.

Boy, am I glad to be at work now ... NOT!

I emailed Todd Gross at Channel 7. He says that an offshore high will be in place until Friday and things should start improving after that.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom