Did I waste my money on the Backscatter Flip Up Filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I actually have not had a chance to test out the Backscatter flip up filter yet, but from the footage that some people have been posting on this forum, it looks like it has VERY little effect on bringing out color at depth. I liked the selling point of a flip up filter that is semi-permanently attached, but if the filter doesn't do anything, what is the point? It looks like I will still have better footage with the old EoM housing + Ikelite filter that I "ghetto rigged" to it.

Mine is being delivered today. I'll be diving this weekend, but in green water, so I don't know how much affect the filter will have since it is designed for blue water.

Mine is being delivered today. I'll be diving this weekend, but in green water, so I don't know how much affect the filter will have since it is designed for blue water.

Same here, I can dive in a "green water" quarry, for "blue" water, I have to wait until my Mexico trip this winter.

it looks like it has VERY little effect on bringing out color at depth.

That's because there is no colour to bring out at depth.
Filters will only be effective in shallow water. Lights are needed at depth.

This is true, but:
I made this fast footage and comparison between the two filters, just to show you the results :

My Ikelite filter produced color similar to the quality of the SRP filter shown in the video. If the backscatter is as bad as the video shows, I don't think it is worth it.

Filter is great for tropics from 20 to 70 feet. On surface flip up : shallow leave up : deeper than 70 you need video lites and they are only good to a max of 4 ft distance. For temperate green water you need a magenta filter.

Wow, I really hope it's not that much of a waste of money! I spent a lot getting the whole Hero2 package with extra's and flip up filter from backscatter. If it is that bad I could have saved $200 getting in town with out the filter.

Haven't put it in the water yet, but below is a picture of my three filters. The one of the left is the Ikelite UR Pro Filter from my still camera (for comparison), The Backscatter flip up filter, and s then the piece of gel I used to shoot these videos - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/429599-gopro-videos-st-john-usvi.html.

The color of the filter material is different in all three, so it remains to be seen what results I'll get. Probably won't be in blue water any time soon, so won't be able to test it.

IMG_0738.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom