Did OW cert dives today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmbelina

Reaction score
Did my open water certification dives today!

Couldn't have asked for better weather on Saturday or Sunday. Also good visibility (for a quarry) of around 30 feet. We had a class of 6 students.

Day 1:
Things got started off with snorkeling. We snorkeled out to this island formation with a downed plane underwater. We took turns seeing if we could get to the plane. Saw some fish (trout, I think) around the island formation as we snorkeled around it. We then did some drills for how to move a unconscious or conscious diver to safety on the surface.

After a break on shore, we got all our diving equipment on and headed to the water. We went to this suspended platform @ 24 feet, I believe, and did mask clearing, reg clearing, reg retrieval, and then did some maneuvering above and below the platform, working on buoyancy.

Took a break for lunch. While on break, we saw someone getting ready to dive with their weights UNDER their wetsuit! :confused:

We then headed back to the suspended platform, did mask clearing again, then buddy breathing and air sharing ascent. We went back down after the air sharing ascents and did emergency ascents, where we ditched the weight belts. Last was BC removal and donning on the surface.

Day 2:
Started off by kicking out on the surface to where a downed helicopter was. This was at about 45-50 feet. The first day, we didn't go very deep. The water at the helicopter was COLD. My first thermocline! :D All of a sudden it was BAM...noticeably colder. We explored around and in the helicopter (it was very open), then followed a rope to where the downed airplane was. Lots of students here today, so we explored around the airplane and the island...saw more fish.

After an hour and a half surface interval, we did compass/air consumption runs. The instructor gave us a surface location to dive towards. We then took a reading from the surface and dove away from the shore for 5 minutes (one person watched time, the other the compass). At 5 minutes, we were to turn around and come back, using compass, surfacing whereever we were at 5 minutes. Then we took a break, switched compass and watch, and did it again.

For the compass dives, readings were taken of our air before and after each run, to get our air consumption. The instructor was right...the person reading the compass used more air.

And thats it! Can't wait to go on a dive trip in a warm place! :D

Good job...
Let's go diving!
Rick

Good job & thanks for the report. Yes, warm water is a nice change, but be glad you can dive in colder waters; you will be able to keep your skills sharp while others let their fins gather dust.

As for the weights under the wetsuit...OMG! I have seen this, too, & cannot think of a sillier way to get lead off of your belt! Some people are so adverrse to the belt that they think up these distribution systems that make almost 100% of their weight unditchable...soryy, but in my OW written test, I recall a question about what is the most important thing in a weight system? Hint: it is not color!

Congrats! I did my OW at Dutch Springs about a year ago. You picked the right time of year, it is much colder earlier in the season. Yep, you probably saw a few varieties of trout around the plane and helicopter. I am surprised they took you out there on initial dives, I thought that was suspended in about 90 ft and used more for AOW deep? I could be mistaken. Good luck and yes - warm water diving (IMHO) is much easier and more enjoyable (plus the fishees are so much prettier than the trout!)

I think the plane is usually deeper (its not suspended but on the bottom), but the water level was lower than usual my instructor said, as you could see alot of the island sticking out of the water. I think the plane was at 25-30 feet.

The helicopter is suspended, so I guess however much the water level rises/falls, it stays the same. The top is at 25' and the bottom is 55'. We were instructed to stay above the the bottom of the helicopter. Still remembering the thermocline on the way down...refreshing :wink:

Way to go on your OW, seemed like a neat weekend.

Wildbill

:copper:

Back
Top Bottom