Did someone really throw a DM's gear off the boat?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too would like to hear both sides. As we all know, there are usually 3 sides too a story, party 1, party 2, and the truth. It wouldn't be very prudent of us to condemn someone or break out the torches without hearing the whole story. Just my $.02

There has to be more to this story. So, a guy tells them not to spear the reef... they flip him off. Then when they get on the boat they toss his gear into the ocean. There should have been plenty of time to cool off between all of this. I can't imagine someone acting this way. If that truly happened, he should have stopped the boat and not taken them back to shore until they paid for his gear assuming it happened near a dive spot.

I also know the instructor and he is very well respected. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the conflict, there is NEVER an excuse to throw someone's gear overboard, especially when i is their livlihood.

There has to be more to this story. So, a guy tells them not to spear the reef... they flip him off. Then when they get on the boat they toss his gear into the ocean. There should have been plenty of time to cool off between all of this. I can't imagine someone acting this way. If that truly happened, he should have stopped the boat and not taken them back to shore until they paid for his gear assuming it happened near a dive spot.

Having been in customer service for most of my life on and off ( started working in my family's grocery store at age 8), their alleged actions do not surprise me at all. In the 60's, 70's, and 80's maybe I'd be shocked. But today with the way so many brats are brought up to believe they are special, easy to believe it happened the way the DM reported it.

I'm a Portuguese speaker and this is very clear when I speak Spanish, and though they are different languages, they are similar enough that I think I can translate this and get fairly close to the intended meaning. This is a meaning-based translation, not a word-for-word one.

A todo los colegas de buceo: esta pareja de buzos se llaman xxx,de Cedar Rapids, Iowa, hoy lo llevè a bucear en el parque marino de Cozumel

To all diving colleagues: today I took this pair of divers named xxx, from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to dive in the Cozumel marine park

y se han portado sin respetar las reglas de protecciòn del arrecife, con la escusa de arponear los pezes leones
and they took along, in violation of the reef protection regulations, with the excuse of spearfishing lionfish

se pegavan al fondo marino y se metian en huecos estrictos descuidosamente, tocaron una tortuga,
they stayed in contact with the reef, forced themselves carelessly through narrow openings, grabbed a turtle

despues de tantas racomendaciones le quitè los arpones cuando tratavan de matar un pez leon metendo el arpon a dentro de una esponja!
after having warned them many times, I took away their spears when they stuck the spear into a sponge while they were trying to kill a lionfish!

despues por enojo me han signalado una groceria
after that, they angrily gave me the finger (he actually says "they made a vulgar hand signal")

y al subir al barco me han tirado mi equipo al mar!
and when we got back on the boat, they threw my gear into the sea!

favor de compartir este cominucado a todos los colegas y centro de buceo que son de la zona
y mas,
please share this message with all colleagues and dive centers in the immediate area and beyond

con el objectivo de vietar (NO PERMITIR) el buceo a estas personas sin respecto de la vida submarina y de los operadores que hacen muchos sacrificios para la diverciòn de los buzos.
in order to block (NOT ALLOW) diving by these people who do not respect marine life nor the operators who work hard to to provide a good experience for divers

gracias a todos los colegas por l'atenciòn
thanks to all of my colleagues for your attention

Muito Obrigado

Having been in customer service for most of my life on and off ( started working in my family's grocery store at age 8), their alleged actions do not surprise me at all. In the 60's, 70's, and 80's maybe I'd be shocked. But today with the way so many brats are brought up to believe they are special, easy to believe it happened the way the DM reported it.
Really? Last time I saw someone go ape on a DM (pushing a finger into his chest, screaming F___ you at the top of his voice) it was a 60-year-old MD being the "brat".

This is a meaning-based translation, not a word-for-word one.

Thanks a lot for that. I got sort-of close but wouldn't have been able to come up with anything readable.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Names removed to protect ScubaBoard and the (maybe) innocent. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

At least I didn't include the photo of the charming couple that accompanied the original post...

There has to be more to this story.

There are always more details, but that doesn't necessarily mean there "has to" be more in terms of pertinent facts.

I can't imagine someone acting this way.
I dont know I could believe someone behaved this way.

You may have a limited imagination. I see worse on at least a weekly basis. People get killed over TV remotes, choice of music, or who took the last cookie.

he should have stopped the boat and not taken them back to shore until they paid for his gear assuming it happened near a dive spot.

Possibly, and that was my initial thought. On the other hand, he may have had a boatful of other divers whom he didn't want to hold hostage. He may not have wanted to escalate a volatile situation further in the confines of a boat deck. He may have wanted time to think through an appropriate response rather than reacting in the heat of the moment.

I hate facebook for that kind of thing. I would think the operators could figure out a way to alert one another to these type of people

The people on the island use Facebook for all sorts of things - there's a group for selling cars, one for local coupons, etc. It's how we communicate with our DM friend. It doesn't seem at all surprising that this is how someone would get the word out, and I'm not really sure how else one would do it.

Why is the rum always gone

I blame cvchief.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

Last time I saw someone go ape on a DM (pushing a finger into his chest, screaming F___ you at the top of his voice) it was a 60-year-old MD being the "brat".

Hmm. Just about the right age to have been a surgery chief resident when I started medical school? I have no difficulty whatsoever believing that.

We have all seen bad behavior by divers. I can totally believe the DMs account, but that doesn't mean it is all true in this case. I would like to know more about the DM or instructor or whoever it was on the boat running the diving operation, and what dive op. Maybe it is just me, but I would believe the account of the incident more if it was a dive op I knew or DM I knew. Just seeing the report like this, with no names, sounds more like idle gossip.

robin

Back
Top Bottom