Did you ever say NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300bar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
What I mean is did you ever say NO to a dive or did you abort (a part of ) a dive.

Example:A dive master/guide knows where to find a shark(or whatever)and does not tell you where, you go along and find yourselff at 35 meter/120ft and didn't like it.
He/She goes on to 60 meter/240ft

What I mean is did you ever had to say no to a Divemaster/guide duiring the dive. i.e.call a dive because the dm/guide went beond you skills.

WHAT DID YOU DO

Any other problem will be fine aswell

Tell us your story/horror

I have aborted a dive for the following.
1. Due to cold
2. My wife didn't feel well
3. Lost buddy

I have only been on about 10 DM guided dives so we did all of our own planning.

Not a horror story per se, but did bail on two dives a week or so ago.

We were out diving a great wreck - the R.P. Resor:

rpresor_lg.jpg

And I just didn't feel right about the dive. It was choppy, so I was feeling a bit queezy. There was a ripping current. And I was ever so slightly hung-over. And very tired having done two dives on the Stolt Dagali the day before, and then slept on the boat overnight.

Now I had been wanting to dive the Resor for two years, but had gotten blown out several times. This was my chance, but I had to let it go. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. Figure the Resor has been there for 70 years, it will be there next time I get out to it.

What I mean is did you ever say NO to a dive or did you abort (a part of ) a dive.

Sure. Every now and then.

I refused what would have been my #8 dive ever, in Cozumel when my inflater hose ripped. The DM wanted to fix it with duct tape.

I blew off a boat dive in Florida when the forecast called for 8 - 10 foot waves, even though they hadn't canceled the boat yet, and the dive op said "It looks fine here".

I blew off a dive in Brockville (Ontario) because when I woke up it was all dark and funky and raining outside and I was all warm and comfy in bed.

Diving is supposed to be fun. If you ever think you shouldn't do a dive, don't do it. The little voice in your head is an excellent judge, and you should listen to it.

Terry

I've recently modified a plan that I thought was too aggressive- I buddied up with some nwerer divers that wanted to go to 100 ffw. I talked them down to 85' and we did a wall dive from there. One diver had a reg that was breathing wet and another diver was having BC/weight issues, so it's probably a good thing that we didn't go deeper. :D

ALL the TIME, actually

the last time was I had planned on doing a night dive without a buddy and the usual captain did not show up and there was a guy there I did not want dropping me into the ocean at night, just based on his looks. So..you make up an excuse and go home, easy peasy.

(thats the best part of not having a buddy! no comittments)

Seriously, that is why me diving solo is safer for me, I don't get into any peer pressure,.. ever. If it doesn't feel right, I don't do it.

Sure. Every now and then.

I refused what would have been my #8 dive ever, in Cozumel when my inflater hose ripped. The DM wanted to fix it with duct tape.

I blew off a boat dive in Florida when the forecast called for 8 - 10 foot waves, even though they hadn't canceled the boat yet, and the dive op said "It looks fine here".

I blew off a dive in Brockville (Ontario) because when I woke up it was all dark and funky and raining outside and I was all warm and comfy in bed.

Diving is supposed to be fun. If you ever think you shouldn't do a dive, don't do it. The little voice in your head is an excellent judge, and you should listen to it.

Terry

I've recently modified a plan that I thought was too aggressive- I buddied up with some nwerer divers that wanted to go to 100 ffw. I talked them down to 85' and we did a wall dive from there. One diver had a reg that was breathing wet and another diver was having BC/weight issues, so it's probably a good thing that we didn't go deeper. :D

Guy,s you're so very right,but that's not what I mean.
Question is, did you abort a dive when a DM/guide says it's ok, and YOU didn't like it.
So did you ever go against a DM/guide.

Not so far. But I don't have that many dives under my belt and all of them have been either with a DM or with an experienced diver, all of whom have been pretty level-headed. If I ever get in a situation where I think that my life is in danger either because of the weather, currents, equipment or someone in charge I'll surely sit my *** down and not dive.

I wouldn't consider a diver a full-fledged diver until they've called, aborted, and skipped dives. When you're new, you push yourself harder and take more risks (knowingly or unknowingly). Once you mature a bit, you realize that you don't have to make every dive.

On the last day of my checkout trip, I was down on a bridge span, when I started getting queasy. (I had been rather thoroughly seasick.) I hoped it would pass, but it was getting worse, not better. Thankfully, I'd learned early on that anyone can call any dive at any time. I swam the few feet over to my instructor, gave him the "my gastrointestinal tract is telling me it would be in my best interest to begin my ascent at this time" signal, and made sure he was taking direct responsibility for J. (with whom I'd stay while throwing up my insides, if such were necessary for her safety). I made my safe, slow ascent (in the close company of others from my LDS), and by the time I hit the safety stop, I was purging my regulator in the eating disorder sense. I was really happy I was at the safety stop and not still on the bottom, as I couldn't help but think that throwing up while ascending counts as holding your breath. (I think like that. :biggrin:)

On dives since then, I've called them because I'm feeling unwell (seasickness, chilling cold, or "sinus pressure" indicating oncoming congestion). I've called them because I don't like the dive plan (tides, currents, depths, or whatever). I've called some because I'd decided that I was not going to take responsibility for the diver(s) I'd be diving with. I've even called more than a few because "I've got a bad feeling about this."

As for aborts or tactical realignments during dives, I've had more than my fair share of bad buddy write offs. I tend to get paired up with the odd man out, which I don't mind at all. Most of them have been anywhere from wandering to excellent. However, if they choose to swim off faster than I can keep up, or if they choose to do the saw-tooth profile from... well..., or if they do something else which is outside of the dive plan and my safety limits (like penetrating a wreck without any line, lights, or iotas of common sense), well, at that point they've chosen to solo dive.

I always dive prepared to be a solo diver, even though I pride myself on being the best buddy, team member, or leader possible -- I can be of more use to my buddy or team if I am capable of helping myself if necessary. If I've accepted responsibility to dive with you, I'll burn my air chasing you, and I'll never be oblivious to you. I've been thanked and complimented numerous times on my attentiveness, but if you choose to run away harder than I can follow, I'll cut you free and enjoy the rest of my dive, and we'll probably have a little chat once I see you topside.

ALL the TIME, actually

the last time was I had planned on doing a night dive without a buddy and the usual captain did not show up and there was a guy there I did not want dropping me into the ocean at night, just based on his looks. So..you make up an excuse and go home, easy peasy.

(thats the best part of not having a buddy! no comittments)

Seriously, that is why me diving solo is safer for me, I don't get into any peer pressure,.. ever. If it doesn't feel right, I don't do it.

O You are so right,but this question was maybe ment for the not so experienced divers amoung us.I should have placed it in the new diver section,but I did not, so I could see if we all had the same bad experiences as new divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom