Did you take a hiatus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems quite a few of G.O.D. were certified young, took a hiatus and returned to diving later. Why?

For me, when I was newly married, my lovely bride had spent her youth serving as a galley slave on her fathers sailboat. When I suggested we use the boat to go diving, I was told in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of doing any more sailing. Fast forward 30 years, we were in Hawaii, snorkeling on the Fair Wind and a guy was hawking a SNUBA dive. After a few minutes of coaxing, my lovely bride tried it. She fell in love with diving and we have been diving together since. Life is grand!

I had a small break, 25 years. I was married, living inland, low on $$ and sold the gear. Bad decision. Next came kids, way to much work and too little time. I finally realized that I better take the time to do what I love. So I recertified with my sons (good move) and am having a blast.

Diving cold in a wetsuit was just way too much work for the reward so I only did a couple of dives a year on vacation for 20 years or so. Took a trip to the GBR a couple of years back - did a liveaboard and fell back in love with diving again. Realized that I could afford a dry suit now. Still alot of work, but nothing like putting on two layers of form fitting 3/8ths neoprene was.

Yep . . .

Started with my diving instrustion down in Panama City, FL in '68.
Didn't finish and get certified due to a minor inconvenience called the Sunny Southeast Asian War Games (some call it the Viet Nam War).

Got back into it in the early '70's but then took up white water kayaking.

Didn't seriously back into diving until around '85 or so.

the K

Last edited:
There was about a 10 year spell where I dove very little because of my opinion that doing things my kids wanted instead of doing the things I want made me a better father. I see the flaw in my reasoning now.

I never stopped completly though. 43 years of diving, some years with 500+ dives.

I took a 22 year time out from diving.
Its a little thing that kept me out of the water LIFE , FAMILY and , JOB.
Now that the kids are getting older, and my Daughter wanted to learn, it gave me a reason to come back.
Jim Breslin

Was certified in 1972 at 15. Then came girls, school, job, did a refresher in 91, some of the same distractions as before, still trying to get into it on a regular basis.

Nope - Rather that me getting my kids into the sport my kids got me into the sport.

One day my 14 year announced that we were going to learn to dive - the rest is history!

Why? Did you lose one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom