Difference between Apollo av2 and av2 evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buz

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the Apollo av2 classic and the av2 evolution? The specs are the same on the web site. Anyone have a good one for sale.

Thanks

The classic is not variable speed, just on off with three speed adjustable prop pitch. Evo has variable speed trigger and same adjustable prop. VS is really nice. Allows divers of different size and skill to run at the same speed.

Kittiwake Scooter Dive - Cayman Islands - YouTube

( going slow so the camera can keep up, they will go faster)

If you handle them like 40 pound eggs and submerge and run a few minutes in clean fresh water after every use they will give many dives with no problems.

Thanks for the info. I was using an older av-1 and was impressed with its performance. Do you know how the evo performs compared to the av-1?
We use them to hunt on the reef.

On high pitch, the AV1 will go a little faster if in new condition with clean motor brushes, but it will overheat with continuous use in warmer water and cut out after 20 minutes or so. The discharge rate on high is 35 amps at 12 volts, so it is really hard on the battery. Eventually the grease in the transmission gets thin and coats the brushes, slowing them down. They can be opened and cleaned, but it is not simple. They don't overheat on medium speed and then are no faster.

The Evo is a more efficient 24 volt brushless motor and has a heat dissipation system, so it will go farther and never overheat or slow down.

The SLA batteries as supplied by Apollo a few years ago were not the best you could do for the money.

I have no experience with the expensive Apollo NiMh battery. I assemble my own (not for the inexperienced, don't ask) and get 90 minutes on comfortable cruise or two hours poking around the reef.

As in the video, we run 3000 feet from shore and pass by the wreck, out to the wall to recreational depths :) for 20 minutes, 20 more on the wreck, and back to shore poking along the shallow reef, on the NiMh battery with plenty of reserve power left.

Great info. I'm an old school electric r/c racer and have assembled many battery packs from individual cells. Could you give the details on your pack and a source for cells?

Again thanks for the info.

Great info. I'm an old school electric r/c racer and have assembled many battery packs from individual cells. Could you give the details on your pack and a source for cells?

Again thanks for the info.

Search my posts in the archives, more info there. Hi capacity D cells with tabs and connect 20 pairs in series. Parallel isn't recommended for NiMh but it is what works to get 24 volt 20 amp, and they have had hundreds of dives with little loss of capacity, still 95%. Two blocks of 5X4 cells stacked and heat shrinked, cost for 40 cells should be $7-9 each. Lithium will be better when they can be built for $300. I use the Eagle Tree datalogger and keep track of runs and capacity. Weight 14 pounds. Somewhat smaller so make spacers and add 4.5 pounds lead for neutral bouyancy

A 75 minute dive today. Starts at 54 minutes, over at 132, the rest is transit and washing. As you can see, max is 15 amps, (it can be a little higher with two divers on it) total used in 78 minute dive was 7400 mAH, the batteries will run to 18000 mAH, so less than half of capacity. Went to the wall from shore, along the wall for 25 minutes, and back along the 30-50 foot inner reef. About 1.5 miles overall. Variable speed is really nice, there were some turtles and you can hover vertically and move slightly sideways to film. You can get quite close to many creatures if you don't make bubbles and let the prop move you. They are nearly silent, your hands are free for a camera, and there is no prop wash in your face or on your body. Not a tech scooter, but a good compromise between a pool toy and tech.

Attachments

• Eagle Tree.pdf
    862.1 KB · Views: 127
Thats impressive. Now I just need to find a good used av-2 evo unit, and build a battery.

Anyone looking to get rid of theirs?

I'm gonna be using for lobstering and spearfishing in S Florida. Its perfect for that.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 12:43 PM ----------

jamesb,

What charger do you use for the nimh pack, and what rate do you charge at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom