Difference between Conshelf 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was what I was thinking, @James79. With the relatively few years of diving activity I expect to have left, I am beginning to think I can stop buying “just one better” piece and concentrate on opportunities to use what I’ve got! If, OTOH, something on my “wish list” falls into my lap, well… 😉
🐸

All 1085 metal Conshelfs are identical after about 1974. USD used the ubiquitous 1085 for everything. There could be different diaphragms, originally neoprene and then going to grey silicone, same with exhaust valves. The later models had a wrap around exhaust tee instead of that hard plastic tube. The last 1085 Conshelf 14 has a port in the side of the second stage that makes adjustment of the seat easier by direct access.

Here a late 60s 1085 and a last of the line Conshelf XIV (not a 14) and notice the grey diaphragm and plastic button on the lever. This particular one is NIB, never dived along with it's Supreme first stage and a nearly mint matching second stage, but nobody ever wanted it so I decided to keep it though unlikely I will ever dive it.

The late 1085's have an external access port that gives you a straight shot at the poppet nut.... no extra adjustment. To me it's not worth trying to find one.
Much agreed, particularly when you factor in the significant price difference between the old 1085's and the ''modern'' ones with the adjustment port.

To resurrect this zombie thread, I’d like to ask whether there is any great advantage to searching out a late type 1085 second stage? Is that external adjustment screw something that actually gets used, or is it just left alone after the reg is tuned? As always,TIA for your experiences and informed opinions!
🐸
It's much nicer to have a port for tuning, but they are hard to find and many times as expensive as without. I've only seen one or two in the last year on eBay. There's one now on eBay in pretty OK condition with a primary, for a bit over $200.

Thanks for the responses. This all pretty much reinforces my previous opinion that while it is desirable to have a late enough 1085 reg with the large exhalation diaphragm (as expected with the later style Exhaust T) trying to find the final variant with the external adjust for the poppet nut is probably not worth the effort and expense.
OTOH, my preference for the 1st stage has become the one with four LP ports as found on late C21 and all(?) C22 regs, not because I need all those ports, but for ease of making the hose configuration I want.
🐸

Nothing could be finer than a pretty 1085:

USD ran their BC LP hose to the right and under the arm for their horsecollar BCs and other early BCs. Nowadays of course the LP inflator hose generally goes over the left shoulder regardless of BC type though this is not universal in some other multi-verses I am told. Thus such first stages need a right angle or 60 degree fitting to send the inflator hose off in the correct direction without a bind. This one was lost behind a counter and when the store closed and everything was being moved out, there it was, NIB. A little time capsule. I updated with new VDH exhaust tees as I hate those hard plastic tees (that always split) and configured it with new hoses for primary donation.

Nice find, Nemrod! The owner of a LDS once told me the C14 first stage had its ports configured the way they are because they were designed to be pointed away from the head. I didn’t argue, but I didn’t believe it either. Has anyone else heard this? Oh yeah, he referred to it as “Military” style configuration. 🤔
🐸

Nice find, Nemrod! The owner of a LDS once told me the C14 first stage had its ports configured the way they are because they were designed to be pointed away from the head. I didn’t argue, but I didn’t believe it either. Has anyone else heard this? Oh yeah, he referred to it as “Military” style configuration. 🤔
🐸

Uh, hhmmmm, probably no.

I have that regulator for about a decade or more. Never been in the water, just sits there. I doubt I ever use it. I used to have a half dozen of them. Gave a few away to new divers, sold a few, that one remains. Poor thing. Everyone needs at least one Conshelf so there it sits.

Would it get anyone’s panties up in a wad if I said that I’m almost thinking a 1085 wins out over a 109 in coolness just due to the simplicity, the chrome, and the fact that parts are way easier to get and there is no annoying rubber diaphragm cover that always seems to be cracked and eaten up by time and ozone.

Would it get anyone’s panties up in a wad if I said that I’m almost thinking a 1085 wins out over a 109 in coolness just due to the simplicity, the chrome, and the fact that parts are way easier to get and there is no annoying rubber diaphragm cover that always seems to be cracked and eaten up by time and ozone.

The 109 is a pretty face with a too small exhaust valve. The 1085 has a modern sized exhaust valve. Now, the CE 156, that is another thing, it is way cooler than a 1085 and it too has a full size exhaust valve. But none of them beat the G250 :poke:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom