Difference between Faber FX-120 and Faber HP-120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ean3x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How can you tell the difference between the Faber FX-120 and Faber HP-120? I am looking at buying a pair of FX-120's but the owner doesn't know which tanks they are. There are no marking on the tanks to tell me what they are. I think they are FX-120's based on 2 assupmtions,
1. HP series has been discontinued, and current hydo is 1/09
2. Working pressure of the HP-120 is 3180+, FX-120 is 3442.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy faber tanks?

Thanks

If you post the tank markings (the ones that run around the crown of the tank), I'm sure someone will be able to tell you which cylinder that is.

I like Fabers, personally. They seem to be lighter in the water than their Worthington cousins.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the tank markings or the weights of the tanks. I do know that the working pressure is 3442 so I'm guessing they are the FX tanks. I had and a set of Hp-120's that were 62 lbs, 16.22 lbs negative full. I sold them because of this and don't want to make a mistake by buying them again. I like the buoyancy characteristics of the FX tanks vs. the Worthingtons.

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy faber tanks?

No.

There is one thing worth mentioning. We have both Faber and Worthington HP steels. We were using the "yoke converter plugs" that came with the valves. These are not very robust, and after a few years use, got too beat up to seal well.

The plugs can be replaced, but I converted our regulators to DIN instead.

Good luck - Stu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom