Difference between High Flow, High Pressure and Intermediate Pressure ports ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I was wondering what exactly is the difference.
I just read a manual for a regulator but I though there were only two types of ports, High Pressure ports where the SPG and Air Transmitters connect, and the Low Pressure port that are used by the BDC, Drysuit and Second Stages.
Can you please someone clarify the difference and what is using which port.

Many thanks,

Socc

The difference is the air pressure in each of the ports. The HP port is at tank pressure, that your SPG reads. The IP (also called LP) is at the intermediate pressure of your regulator usually around 135 lbs/sq in. The IP ports are for your power inflator, regulator, and octopus.

The difference is the air pressure in each of the ports. The HP port is at tank pressure, that your SPG reads. The IP (also called LP) is at the intermediate pressure of your regulator usually around 135 lbs/sq in. The IP ports are for your power inflator, regulator, and octopus.

Hello ams511,

I understand that there is a difference in the pressure but in the manual it says that some of the IPs are High Flow ports and that are good to use with second stages. Why is that ?
Also, I did not know that LPs are also called IPs but I think I can understand why.

Thanks,

Socc

Intermediate Pressure ports = LP ports
High Flow ports are LP ports that possibly may have a slightly higher flow rate than standard LP ports and would normally be used by your primary 2nd stage, sometimes they are bigger (1/2") or have a "boost" and marked dfc or pri or they might be the end (5th) port of a 1st stage.
In reality they are not really that much different to regular LP ports in terms of any real world performance gain.

Intermediate Pressure ports = LP ports
High Flow ports are LP ports that possibly may have a slightly higher flow rate than standard LP ports and would normally be used by your primary 2nd stage, sometimes they are bigger (1/2") or have a "boost" and marked dfc or pri or they might be the end (5th) port of a 1st stage.
In reality they are not really that much different to regular LP ports in terms of any real world performance gain.

Ok I think that makes things clear !

Thanks both of you !!!

socc,

When talking about the first-stage port configurations, there're only four LP and two HP ports usually nowadays.

Some of the manufacturers claim that they can make the air flow a little more into one of those 4 LP ports with some proprietary, magical, patent pending, sophisticated, computer-designed hole.

Here's my Mares MR42T DFC port (Dynamic Flow Control) up close. See that little plastic thing showing in the opening--that's supposed to channel an extra puff of air from the internals of the first stage into my primary 2nd stage hose. I put my primary 2nd stage in that one port and can tell no difference whatsoever with any of the other LP ports.

IMG_0209A.jpg

socc,

When talking about the first-stage port configurations, there're only four LP and two HP ports usually nowadays.

Some of the manufacturers claim that they can make the air flow a little more into one of those 4 LP ports with some proprietary, magical, patent pending, sophisticated, computer-designed hole.

Here's my Mares MR42T DFC port (Dynamic Flow Control) up close. See that little plastic thing showing in the opening--that's supposed to channel an extra puff of air from the internals of the first stage into my primary 2nd stage hose. I put my primary 2nd stage in that one port and can tell no difference whatsoever with any of the other LP ports.

View attachment 177890

Thanks for the reply rjk75.
I understand quite well what is going on now.

It seems like another marketing trick from the companies really, to make people buy their products !

Thanks,

Socc

Marketers the guys who were not smart enough to get into engineering school. :D

While some think I say that in jest, I am serious. BITD there were only so many in each engineering class. Those that could not get in often went to business school instead.

Hello ams511,

I understand that there is a difference in the pressure but in the manual it says that some of the IPs are High Flow ports and that are good to use with second stages. Why is that ?
Also, I did not know that LPs are also called IPs but I think I can understand why.

Thanks,

Socc

As Fishpie mentioned usually the "high flow" ports flow slightly more gas than a regular IP port. Usually this is the port where the gas has the most direct route to the hose. Manufacturers usually recommend that the primary gets connected to a high flow port and the octo and inflator hose get connected to the regular ports.

I am sure that the manufacturers are telling the truth that the port will flow more gas, however I also doubt that it makes a difference in real life. Not all regulators have high flow ports. For example a ScubaPro MK-25 which is one of the best first stages you can purchase doesn't have them.

Not sure it's good marketing. Telling us one port is high flow implies the others are only mediocre.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom