Difference between T2x and T3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread I read that the T3 will have a monel piston. What's the advantage over the current metal (titanium?) used for the T2x piston? Are there any other changes? If not, will there be kits available to upgrade the T2x to a T3?

And finally, do you know the T3's MSRP?

I love my T2 upgraded to T2x but if it's feasible I'd probably go for a kit.

Hi Downing

Boththe T2X and the T3 have the same Monel piston. The only differences between thetwo are that the T3 is slightly lighter than the T2X and its look. The T3 has adarker face cover, different style Yoke, and a different finish than the T2X.Performance is incredible in both units! I don't currently have a retail pricefor the T3 and I don't believe, with the changes to the styling of the T3,there will be an upgrade kit. We should have updates shortly on its release anda photo or two soon. I will make sure to update both the Scubaboard andFacebook as soon as I have more information and pictures. Thanks Downing.

Atomic Aquatics

Doesn't the T3 have a three year service interval, versus the T2x's 2 year interval?

I don't currently have a retail price for the T3 and I don't believe, with the changes to the styling of the T3, there will be an upgrade kit.

Atomic Aquatics

No worries. Like I said, I'm pretty partial to my T2x, which is, to quote Julie Andrews, practically perfect in every way.

Wouldn't mind a 3-year service interval, though.

Dr. L: say hi to Gabe for me next time you see him. I dove with him for a couple of weeks three years ago. Great guide. Great guy. And a fellow Oregonian to boot.

Last edited:
Hi Doc!

Yes, the T3 will have a three year service interval. I do know that it has alot to do with the monel piston and how it performs over time. However, I have not been included on any other reasons why we are extending the service interval. I am hoping to be filled in once we have a few demos here to play with and inspect. Once we have a few here, I can inquire as to what else makes the T3 have the extended service interval. Once I have information, I will make sure to put the info right here in this forum.

Atomic Aquatics
Doesn't the T3 have a three year service interval, versus the T2x's 2 year interval?

Sounds good. If both the T3 and T2x have the same monel piston, it would seem like both should have the same service interval since the only differences are cosmetic/weight. Even if the data didn't support taking that position about the T2x before, it would be odd to not take it now.

Sounds good. If both the T3 and T2x have the same monel piston, it would seem like both should have the same service interval since the only differences are cosmetic/weight. Even if the data didn't support taking that position about the T2x before, it would be odd to not take it now.

Yeah, like he said.

Hi Doc!

Yes, the T3 will have a three year service interval. I do know that it has alot to do with the monel piston and how it performs over time. However, I have not been included on any other reasons why we are extending the service interval. I am hoping to be filled in once we have a few demos here to play with and inspect. Once we have a few here, I can inquire as to what else makes the T3 have the extended service interval. Once I have information, I will make sure to put the info right here in this forum.

Atomic Aquatics

Do you currently have information to support the justification for the difference in service interval between the T2X and the T3?

I am looking at the T2x or T3 and weighing up the differences.
So far it seams that the first stage and 2nd stages are physically the same except for:
The lightweight yoke on the first stage
The PVD coating on the comfort swivel and front cover ring.
Aesthetics

Both are rated for 300 dives between services so I am assuming that the T3 3 year service interval would apply (if not in writing) to the T2x as well.
Am I missing anything?

The T3 yoke is no doubt innovative in terms of some weight reduction but personally prefer the older version so all things being equal I may opt for the T2x.

Is there much of a price difference? Even though as a general rule I like to get the latest and greatest, I'd be especially tempted to go with the T2x if Atomic's offering some sort of deal to clear out the old stock.

As I said above, I consider my T2x to be practically perfect in every way.

Back
Top Bottom