Different DUI models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have posted the same question in the Exposure Suits subforum. Here is the question again: What are the differences of different DUI drysuit models and their best usage? Models considering: CF200. CLX450, CLX SE, FLX50/50, FLX Extreme, TLS350.

Many thanks.

h

Wow. That is a big topic! I will try to give you an overview, but feel free to call the factory for more detail.

Most of our suits are made of some type of trilaminate material- three layers of material. The TLS350 is made of a high tenasity nylon that is very light, smooth and flexible. It is very easy to swim in while still being very abrasion resistant due to the smoothness of the material. It is used by the Navy Seals, Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers and many other dive teams for its combination of flexibility, swimmability and durability.

The FLX Extreme is also a trilaminate but it is a polyester based trilaminate which is slightly heavier than the TLS material. This type of polyester trilaminate is slightly more puncture resistant than the TLS material as well. It is our newest suit and gaining popularity and is great for people who want something light but slightly more durable than the TLS material.

The CLX is also a trilaminate but it is made of a cordura based trilaminate on the top for lots of abrasion and puncture resistance. You will lose flexibility with this suit as the cordura is somewhat stiff. It is very popular with wreck divers and underwater hunters who stick their arms into holes alot. The bottom is made of the same material as the FLX extreme in order to maintain flexibility while swimming.

The CF200 is a unique suit in that it is made of crushed neoprene. Crushed neoprene is unique to DUI and remains one of our most popular suits. It is made by taking compressed neoprene (dense neoprene), assembling the drysuit and then crushing the entire suit in a patented process. When the suit comes out of the crusher, yes we call them crushers, it is much thinner, about 2mm thick, and extremely durable. We squash all the normal bubbles in neoprene flat and thus make the material very tough against punctures and abrasion. it also will have no buoyancy as there are no more bubbles to compress and reexpand. That will also make the material very long lasting as that effect is one of the reasons wetsuits do not last very long. This material will have some warmth but very little as we have removed the bubbles from the suit. It has about a 4-6 degree insulating value over the trilaminate suits. This is the toughest suit out there and is great for people who are hard on their equipment or dive in highly abrasive environments. It will be slow to dry, heavy in comparison to trilaminate suits and will be slightly less felxible than the lighter trilaminates. However, the material does stretch and that does help compensate for it being heavier.

The FLX5050 is a hybrid suit that uses polyester trilaminate on the top for flexibilty and crushed neoprene on the bottom for durability. This suit is popular in areas where divers need to crawl over rocks to get in and out of the water- NE and NW parts of the US for example.

I hope this helps get you started. I woudl definitely recommend coming to one of our demo days sometime to try them all out. Thanks
Faith

As always, Faith has provided a great, detailed description. As a owner of a CF200 & TLS350 I can offer you another viewpoint on those two.

CF200: My go to suit for durability when wreck diving or very cold water diving due to its thickness. It is more bulky and heavier than the TLS350. Love the zip seals. Highly recommend custom sizing and P-Valve.

TLS350: Love this suit because it is lightweight and less bulky. My favorite suit to dive in for those reasons. It is very durable and comfortable. Custom sizing and P-Valve recommended.

If you do mostly boat diving, I prefer Turbo-Soles. If you do a lot of shore diving or need ankle support, get the Rock-Boots. I have both.

I got my CF200 first then the TLS350. If I could only have 1, I would probably go with the TLS350. The CF200 is great when you want to have some added durability and warmth.

Thank you, Faith, for your clear explanation and also thank you, jar, for your tips.

One question about Stock size chart: is the measurement of body sizes based on naked body or with thermo clothing on? I am 5'8" with reasonably standard body proportions and I find M size fits most of my measurement. However, I find the Crotch to floor measurement of the stock size is much too long for me. I am 30" but the stock size is 34-35". Also my dress shoes are size 8 but the stock size of M is 9.5-10, way too large. Is it sized with bare foot measurement and enlarged with thermo socks in mind. If yes, then it will be way way too large. My feet would fit into size 8 dress shoes bare feet or size 9 with thick thermo socks. Can someone please clarify the stock sizing? Thanks.

Hello!

The size chart is based on measurements being taken with regular street clothes on...nothing too baggy or bulky. The sock size is determined based on your most comfortable pair of tennis shoes.

Keep in mind, the size chart for stock suits is for the correct fit assuming the diver is wearing a 400 wt undergarment. Same goes for the socks.

The floor to crotch measurement can be a little tricky to take on your own. It is different than an inseam measurement. The tape measure needs to be all the way up on the inner thigh (moving everything aside...for men:) ), you need to stand up straight and have the tape measure go down straight to the floor in between your legs, with your legs shoulder width apart.

If everything looks good for you to fit into a stock size and the feet is the only issue, we can change the sock out for you. If you move from a Stock to a Select size, you get to change your socks to your size AND choose colors!!

Let me know if you have any other question!

If you would like to let me know where you are located, I can find the Demo event closest to you.

Thanks,

Jessica
DUI

Yea, go to the Dog Days.. I tried on just about every suit they had and I liked the way the CLX450 fit and felt underwater as they all "squeeze" a little different. My local dealer also has samples of their cloths with colors, zip seals etc.. so if you cant go to dog days call up a dealer and see if they have suits or samples you can feel.

I've snagged my CLX450 pretty bad a few times and its only torn a few nylon fibers on the outside.. I'm loving it and can't wait for it to get cold again.

The top of the FLX 5050 is made of the same material as the entire FLX Extreme- polyester trilaminate. The CLX is a much stiffer cordura trilaminate. Hope this helps. And by the way, hi Burhan!

faith

What about the CNSE? My personal favorite:D
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom