Difficulty of vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting! I've got a DA-"aqua master" that is in very very good condition. I never had it rebuilt (nor did it myself) but have dived it a few times at our local quarry (out in Rawlings, Virginia). I had my friends pony with me. I had bought a banjo fitting to run a SPG, but found that it leaked so I don't use it (For those dives I generally outlast my dive buddies by a good deal).

I don't generally use other vintage gear, just the regulator. Although I have an older full face mask but it's probably 80s.

I think it is time to get the aqua master serviced though. Might have to take it to the quarry.

Getting it serviced is a really good idea. The old duckbills (exhaust valve in the outter can) were really poor quality and needed replacing every year or 2, I have yet to see one in servicable condition and pretty much the same goes for the check valves (mushroom valves) in the mouthpieces. The diaphrams in them are also fairly stiff, all of which make them poor breathing. I would be concerned about diving the reg without it being at least looked at by someone who understands to old regs. The old rubber parts in these regs did not stand up well to time. The good news is the repairs are simple and the new replacement parts are fantastic but please do get it serviced before diving it. I would also encourage you to get with someone who has experience diving DH regs and learn from them. They do dive differently and you really should understand them before venturing off into deep water with non vintage divers. Myself and another diver near Raleigh dive them quite often at the Rolesville quarry and occasionally at Rawling. You have an open invitation to join us any time you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom