Diffusers to diffuse exhaled bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Please, where is information about diffusers to thoroughly break up:?
(1) Bubbles from open-circuit scuba
(2) Gas released by rebreather scuba

Google search results from this search were:

diffuser scuba -camera -light -tea -coffee -engine -motor -flash

Note the amount of exclude terms (each starting with a minus sign) that I had to add to cut the by-catch down.

This produced some results, but still many about sewers. In images mode, it showed many underwater images of scuba diving, but no clear big images of a diffuser.

It showed a term "exhaust diffuser", but this search:-

"exhaust diffuser" scuba

in images mode, showed nearly all images of cars and their exhaust systems.

diffusers will add resistance to exhalation which increases work of breathing and CO2 retention since they require back pressure to break up the bubbles. Not something you really want to put on scuba gear.
Most bubbles released by a rebreather come out of your nose or mouth and the ones that don't would require a really complex dump valve.

why are you trying to diffuse the bubbles?

I do not dive any more. I have heard of diffusers, and I was looking for more information about them, for interest. Likely the reason may be:

To avoid scaring fish, in underwater biology.

In military and similar use, to avoid being seen from the surface.

What images are there of diffusers for use on rebreathers or on air scuba?

This link (UK Diving Equipment) shows a mouthpiece-regulator with what it calls an "exhaust diffuser", but how much does it break up the bubbles?

Google search for exhaust diffuser" scuba -car in images mode showed largely images of ordinary mouthpiece-regulators.

On the old-type twin-hose aqualung with a big loop of wide breathing tubes, and a big round regulator behind the neck, I heard long ago of a big box with many small holes in it, to put over the regulator, to break the bubbles up very small.

In military for stealth applications they do not vent the rebreathers since they are not diving that deep on the O2 units.

If you want to avoid scaring fish a double hose is normally sufficient or go to a rebreather

The diffuser you linked to on the Triton is basically a diverter vs. an actual diffuser

On the old-type twin-hose aqualung with a big loop of wide breathing tubes, and a big round regulator behind the neck, I heard long ago of a big box with many small holes in it, to put over the regulator, to break the bubbles up very small.

While the Argonaut Kraken (modern double hose) was in the development stage, there were a few experiments with diffusing bubbles. They seemed to be very short lived... My experiences have been that the bubbles behind your head do a whole bunch toward being a less intimidating posture. I have frequently have had fish "kiss" me as they explore their own reflection in my mask.

I'm sure there are still species that are chased off by bubbles....

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom