digital photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffweiss

Registered
Reaction score
For those interested in checking out the quality of digital underwater photographs, I have finally got my web site up and running. All of the photos posted were taken in the last 3 months using an Olympus 3030 and Tetra Housing. I'll be posting some shots taken with a Nikon 990 & Ikelite housing in Cocos in a week or so. Having used both, the Olympus/Tetra combination is by far the better system, and far and away more user friendly than the Ikelite/Nikon combination.

To view the photos go to:

http://home.att.net/~jeffweiss/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Be sure to click to the 'Coming soon"/Highlights section

AJW

I'm anxious to see the CoolPix photos. I have the CP 880 and am considering a housing for it.

thanks

Jeff,

Beautiful pictures. I am new to diving, but someday hope to be posting pics myself.

BLT

Dee

The "Coming soon shot is taken with the CP 990 at the SHQ setting, using the Ikelite housing, off Coco's.
From what I can tell from MircoWarehouse's page on digital cameras, the CP 880 looks similar to the Olympus 3030. If the controls match, you might be able to use a Tetra housing. If not, I don't know anyone who makes a housing for the 880. Ikelite's housing for the CP 990 is, in my opinion far to clumsey and bulky to use comfortably.

I'll try to get the rest of the Coco's shots up this week.

Great shots! We have a Nikon CP880 and looked at the Ikelite housing and agreed with Jeff: too clumsy. We stopped there, but are interested in hearing about the Tetra. If you find out about it soon, please post it here...

We have a Nikonos V, and have no trouble with focus when using the 15mm. With the 20mm you have to be a little more careful, but stopped down to 8 or 11 it is a minimal problem--says he with the picture of a whitemouth eel peeking out from under a spiny urchin that cannot be enlarged beyond 5x7 due a "slight" focus problem!

At any rate, we are very interested in seeing if the CP 880 can be our first attempt at UW digital.

Thanks again for the great photos--really liked the French Angel and Gray Angels!

Joewr

I have just finished uploading some of the Coco's series.
All of these photos were taken using the Nikon CP 990, an Ikelite Housing and a Nikonos SB-105 strobe. The Camera was set for "SHQ", with the autofocus "on". looking back on the diference between the Olympus 3030 & the Nikon, I would now override all automatic functions, including the autofocus, and "TTL" setting.

JeffW

As far as I know Ikelite is the only one making housings for the CP880. I, too, will be interested in finding out about the Tetra housing.

I do have one question though. Did you have any trouble seeing the LED screen underwater? It can be hard to see outside and I've wondered about the difference underwater.

Do you know if the Ikelite housing allows you to use the wide angle accessory lens underwater? I was told you have to buy a specific port for it.

Dee:

I haven't experienced any problems seeing the LCD screen underwater. Both the Nikon CP 990 and Olympus 3030 screens
were more than acceptable u/w for framing and composition. I wouldn't want to rely on them for focusing, however.

To my knowledge you cannot adapt the ikelite housing for wide angle use. If I recall correctly, ikelite cautions about removing the lens port. The Tetra has an optional wide angle port, which replaces the standard port when in use. Given the recent drop in prices, you might want to consider selling your CoolPics and buying an Olympus. Either the 3000 or 3030 works with the Tetra housing, the new 3040 should also. You can check with Light & Motion Industries for more info; their web site is found at: http://www.lmindustries.com/

JeffW

Jeff-
Great pics. I have been looking into the 3030 and Tetra housing. May try to get them this Fall. Have you encountered any problems with the system at all? What do you like best and what is the least thing you like? I noticed, to me at least, the software you get with the camera appears to display better than the Photoshop. Do you find that true? Thanks.
RonC.

Jeff,

I went to the Tetra website and found no listing for an 880 housing in their product catalog. However, there is an indication that one is under development. I also sent them an e-mail asking about such a housing. I will tell you what they say.

We never bought the Cool Pix with the intent of using it u/w, but as they say, "The road to Hell is paved with...."

I still love my Nikonos and will only reluctantly give it up! However, I have to admit that I keep looking at housed cameras with an envious eye. The Sea and Sea housing for a Nikon F100 has a lot of appeal....

Thanks again for the photos--I keep saying that I will buy a new scanner (my current one is only B&W, bought in 1992 when they were twice as expensive as today's color scanners) and share my photos, but have not got around to it due to all sorts of other tasks--including a new lathe in my shop that just demands my time!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom