digital photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by joewr
Hey!

We were thinking about Palau then we heard about the El Nino-fied bleached corals and had second thoughts. However, JC, of this Board, said not to worry...are you of the same mind? When were you and your wife there last?

Also, I have heard that both the live-aboard and the resort are great at Palau. Have you also done the resort thing (as G.H.Bush would have said), too? If so, what did you think of it? We tend to prefer land-based ops, but have no prejudice against live-aboards....

We are definitely going to Micronesia and need to decide where to go. So far, we think Panape, Palau or Yap, and finish up in Guam. It will probably be three+ weeks in late Jan or early Mar next year.

Still like your photos!

Joewr

We did Palau last May (our 4th trip there). Was there damage? yes. Enough that I'd skip Palau? No way! I can only remember 1 dive that the damage was bad. Don't remember the name, I can check my log book if you like. I do remember it was shallow and close to the mouth of the German channel. This makes sense. This area is subject to great amounts of water movement from the shallow inner reef areas. The inner lagoons are where the elivated water temps would be greatest. The most famous sites, Blue corner, Blue Holes, Big drop off,etc. showed little or no damage. If you have any questions, Drop me a line, we haven't been to all the other islands out here, but we're working on it.
Dive Safe,
Rooster

Okay,

Sounds like Palau is back at the top of the list. Next week wse get together with our dive buddies to start the planning process and I will come well-informed with all the e-communications from you folks.

We were just salivating to get to Palau--and then the armagedon-like stories of dead corals doused our enthusiasm somewhat. No one we know well had been to Palau for years and so we needed to look further afield. This Board was a real godsend.

Thanks again,

Joewr

Originally posted by jeffweiss

The "Ikelite's housing for the CP 990 is, in my opinion far to clumsey and bulky to use comfortably."

I had the first Ike box for an old Hitachi MPEG digicam about three years ago and at first thought it was bulky and heavy until I realized how stable the heft and handles made this camera when composing and tripping a delayed shutter like all digitals employ. The size made it feel just like my Aquaticas for my N90 and F5 actually. As long as it's neutral or slightly negative in water size doesn't really matter UW, IMHO.

Jeff, does the Olympus 3040 have a wide-angle lense and if so, how wide? Also, does the 64mb disc card fit in the 3040? Just doing some research. Thanks.
RonC.

Ron:

The Olympus 3000, 3030 & 3040 all come with fixed lens. My guestimate is that the widest setting is about equal to a 28 or 30mm nikonos lens. Light & Motion has a wide angle lens/port for the Tetra housing. From my use of it, I estimate that it is in the 24mm range. On land my field of view is approx. 125 degrees (+/-). For more info check with L&M at:www.lmindustries.com.

For comparison purposes most of my posted shots were taken at the camera's wide angle setting. The telephoto zoom feature for any of the digital cameras is only useful out to about 75% of capacity. For this reason, I'd go with the 3030 over more expensive 3040 as the extra zoom range is virtually unuseable u/w. since this is the only significant change between the 3030 and 3040, there is little if any reason to spend the extra $2-300.00 for a feature that I wouldn't use. I'll wait for the next few generations to pass until Olympus gets up to 6.6 resolution before upgrading.

One other significant concern is the camera's lack of higher "f-stops". You are limited to f11. Hopefully newer models will increase the range to f16 or 22.

I use a 64mb card and download to an Iomega fotoshow 250 disk. I just saw a 128mb smart card is now availalble.

JeffW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom