Dilemma: AL80 vs AL100 ? Costa Rica/Okeanos Aggressor II typical fill pressures you've experienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @scubafanatic

I dived Cocos on the Okeanos Aggressor II in March/April 2017 Cocos, March 27-April 5, 2017

Cylinder fills were quite good, average 3220 psi (3100-3350). This would be an average of 83 cf for an AL80 or 97 cf for an AL100. I do not remember anyone diving an AL100 or any size steel tank on my trip. Aggressor does advertise availability of 100s with advance notice and a modest extra cost.

We did 24 dives in 6 1/2 days, including 3 night dives. I would hope some of the night dives would have been replaced by additional dives during the daytime. @rongoodman how many dives did you do on your May trip?

Hi scubadada,
Thanks for your typical tank fill psi data points, it sounds encouraging! The boat only has a total inventory of (2) AL100's, the rest being AL80's. There is an upcharge but it's minimal in the whole scheme of things. (I'm quoted $ 90 for trip tank rental) I expect night dives to be on the menu, as I'm not doing Cocos but Guanacaste/Bat Islands.

OK, at this point it's looking pretty unlikely a steel tank will be available, so I've told the boat if no steel is possible, I'll just stick with the usual AL80, and not bother with an AL100, if it turns out to be a choice between AL80 vs AL100. A slightly overfilled AL80 vs a somewhat under filled AL100 isn't that much of a difference in the real world, and the AL80 will be easier to handle topside when it comes to perching on the edge of the zodiac before back rolling in or when reboarding the bouncy/tossing zodiac at dive's end.

Well, it's confirmed I'll just stick with an AL80. At the LDS pool today, dove for 3 hours straight in the deep end @ 12 ft. (2800 psi starting/ 170 psi ending) with new 5 mm wetsuit/regs/computer/AL80 today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom