DIN Valve Output pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyipher

Reaction score
Do differnt din valves have different pressures? i plan on using a scuba tank for a different purpose than intented, and i wanna know what kind of pressure i can get out of a din valve.:)

what are you talking about:confused:

There are two DIN valves that I know of, 200 and 300 bar fittings, one is deeper than the ther I think but someone will chime in here with the details pretty soon.

cyipher once bubbled...
Do differnt din valves have different pressures? i plan on using a scuba tank for a different purpose than intented, and i wanna know what kind of pressure i can get out of a din valve.:)

Not sure I understand what you are asking? It's likely my fault... But, what do you mean by: "Do different valves have different pressures?"

Are you asking if DIN scuba cylinder valves have different flow rates ? ]

The answer to that is yes. But you might also be aware that the flow rate through any given valve is driven by its engineering characteristics -- a constant -- as well as the supply pressure (internal tank pressure), which of course is variable.

It would help if you explained what it is you plan to do and why the gas "pressure" at the valve oriface is an issue.

If you are looking to use a scuba regulator or tank for something other than scuba, like running an airbrush etc, you need to understand the tank valve has nothing to do with the pressure coming out - all scuba valves are designed to maximize flow and pressure.

The regulator itself is what determines the pressure of the intermediate air from the regulator. Nearly all regulators are two stage with the first stage attached to the tank reducing the air pressure to around 110-145 psi depending on the model and how it is adjusted.

On some models the intermediate pressure is only adjustable internally with the addition or substraction of shims under the main spring or by replacement of the spring. Others are externally adjustable.

I have a US divers Conshelf XII first stage that offers easy external adjustment and can be adjusted down to as low as 10 psi. It's great for airbrushing, inflating tires, beach toys etc. Scuba air is hard to beat for airbrushing as it is very clean and very dry.

The Conshelf XII is an old first stage offerring only 2 LP ports and 1 HP port and not very useful for diving. You may be able to find one on e-bay for around $25.00. Or check your local dive shop, they often have a box of outdated equipment they will sell for non scuba related purposes. With the addition of a low pressure inflator hose and a fitting to allow you to attach 1/4 NPT threaded tools, hoses and adapters, you can do just about anything with one.

DA Aquamaster, has given you some excellent information... but not sure that's your question... can you be more specific please? Are you looking for information about the valves on the cylinders -- as stated -- or do you want to know about regulators that screw into valves on cylinders?

Thanks

Sorry for not making my question clear, I thought that a din valves regulated tank pressure from 3000+ psi to 145 psi, if this is not the case please tell me. i was looking to have an adjustable or static pressure source from 200 - 300 psi do they make a first stage regulator that adjust that high? also what are the thread size and pitch on a din valve? I was thinking i might be able to use a different type of regulator. also how much dose it cost you to fill a 100 cf tank? and what is the biggest tank out there, and where can i buy it from?

As long as you promis not to blow yourself or any one else up you can use the following info:D

Tank pressures are relativly standard at 2640 psi for low pressure, 3000 psi for standard and 3500 psi for high pressure. DIN valves are screwed in and use a captured o-ring that allow them to be used on High pressure(over 3000). In general you will find tanks rated at 3000 and under with standard SCUBA fittings tanks over 3000 will have din fittings.

To knock down tank pressure to 200-300 psi you will need a tank fill fitting that will have a compatible end for the tank and a 1/4 inch NPT threaded fitting on the other end. I would get one of these than look on e-bay for a pressure reducing regulator that can deliver the required out put pressure.

fills for a 100cf tank will probly be around $10

do you know what thread pitch a din valve has on it? i would perfer not to go down to such a small port do they make a bigger filler adapter with a bigger npt port, as i would like to keep flow rates high as possible.

Diversauras once bubbled...
There are two DIN valves that I know of, 200 and 300 bar fittings, one is deeper than the ther I think but someone will chime in here with the details pretty soon.

Diversauras

(have you ever missed typing the 'D' - childish I know)

The 300 bar Din has 7 threads, the lower pressure has 5 threads. A low pressure 1st stage will not seal in a 300 bar cylinder valve as it cannot reach the end of the valve.

Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom