Din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogeywoogey

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people still use A clamps...??

I think we all have stories of o-rings blowing at 40m and passing the redundant....

BUT would it have happened if the gear was all rigged at 300 bar and we all dived with DIN??

It is accepted universally that it's the best rig..so why doesn't the average punter use it....he's the man that should be insisting on i't.

Please tell me why it's not promoted by PADI, for example. I understand that other agencies do recommend DIN.

boogey

It has more to do with geography instead. Yoke is mainly used in North America (and areas catering to that). Indeed DIN is far more superior and has been from the biginning, but it seems that for the average Joe, the A-clamp is easier to use. Why I do not know, but it seems that to hold a clamp against an orofus is simpler then screwing in a thread. For the vommon Joe with an average dive to 60' it seems to work well.

As far as I know, no recreational agency determines or promotes one over the other, it just seems to go with what the masses dictate.

New divers in NA are exposed to yoke and that is what they consider the norm, while in other parts of the world where DIN is the standard that is what they are into.

Remember PADI is a US entity, thus yoke was their choice. And until the masses demand a change, they will not force it.

Like Tamas mention it has to do with geography. I used DIN valve and regulators more now than I use to, the DIN type are definitely better for the kind of diving I do now. I'm slowly replacing all my yoke valves on my tanks with DIN one.

I think most agencies which recommend DIN are teaching tech diving.

Deutchue International Norm (excuse spelling) DIN.

The geographical argument is not really a discussion when it comes to safe practice, in my view. We had to dive steel H valves in Europe,,,all DIN. I am not going OHE with a yoke.

So, for me, it is more of a diving safer issue?

Joe PADI needs educating...in fact I think PADI needs to get its head out of its arse...Does PADI have an arse? or head?...From what I see, it has neither.

If PADI lkes to keep punters safe, best practice...DIN.

Can we get Michael Moore on this one?

boogey

boogeywoogey:
Deutchue International Norm (excuse spelling) DIN.

boogey

almost...
it's "Deutsche Industrienorm" :wink:

and yes, I agree, DIN valves have some advantages, as that the first stages are smaller hence easier to pack, O-Ringscan't blow out, the sealing surface of the valve is protected rather than exposed, I have control over the O-Ring rather than the place where I rent the tank, and there is less chance that stuff gets caught at the valve

buuut...

millions and millions of tanks worldwide use Yoke (or INT), and I am not aware that too many accidents happened because of it. I think a minimum amount of care when assembling the rig will take care of it.
So I don't see a need to force anyone to change, in recreational diving that is.

d-s-f

boogeywoogey:
Joe PADI needs educating...in fact I think PADI needs to get its head out of its arse...Does PADI have an arse? or head?...From what I see, it has neither.

If PADI lkes to keep punters safe, best practice...DIN.

Can we get Michael Moore on this one?

boogey

PADI (most agencies) do not make value judgments regarding equipment. They go to great lengths to be impartial and to simply inform students of the options they have available to them. Instructors are permitted to make value judgments but for the same reasons that PADI doesn't want equipment manufacturers commenting on the contents of the OW course, the manufacturers don't want PADI making value judgments regarding particular bits of gear.

To do so would open up a huge Pandora's box of problems.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom