DIR back-up gauges? digital or analog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, in another thread, a back-up SPG isn't recommended. But I know a back-up depth gauge and bottom timer are.

I currently use a Suunto computer as my main and only depth gauge and bottom timer.

I only rec diving, but I'd like to know which direction to take when I do purchase back-up instruments.

I'd like to know if it would be better to get a cheaper computer to use as a back-up... or a traditional analog depth gauge, and a separate back-up BT/watch?

I figure a back-up computer would be more accurate... but having ol' reliable analog gauges offers redundancy in case of electronic failure on both computers (although highly unlikely, it COULD happen since they are both electronic devices)

jplacson:
Ok, in another thread, a back-up SPG isn't recommended. But I know a back-up depth gauge and bottom timer are.

I don't think they are. Your backup is on your buddys wrist.

I currently use a Suunto computer as my main and only depth gauge and bottom timer.

Seems resonable. Put it in gauge mode and that's all you need.

I only rec diving, but I'd like to know which direction to take when I do purchase back-up instruments.

I'd like to know if it would be better to get a cheaper computer to use as a back-up... or a traditional analog depth gauge, and a separate back-up BT/watch?

I figure a back-up computer would be more accurate... but having ol' reliable analog gauges offers redundancy in case of electronic failure on both computers (although highly unlikely, it COULD happen since they are both electronic devices)

Don't waste your money, you don't need them.

HTH
Rob.

I know that the DIR take on backup bottom timers is that your buddies timer is your backup. However IMHO there is nothing wrong with having your own backup timing device. A DIR set-up gives you redundancy for everything else and your buddy is there as extra safety in the case of major problems. Dir doesn't say your buddies flashlight is your backup. I find it strange the DIR system takes this position. Yes, you want to eliminate clutter and failure points but a redundant bottom timer takes up little space and allows you to remain "independant" during a dive should a bottom timer malfunction. This DIR view remains a "quirk" to me.

Cheers

I have my bottom timer and a wristwatch, my buddy has the same...don't need anything else.

jplacson:

I use an air integrated Aladdin Air Z nitrox, plugged in to the right post for SPG backup (esp. if the left post has to be shut down) , also as a depth backup and bottom timing backup. It may be DIW, but i'm not using it for "****** diving", still cut tables and plan gas management.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom