DIR In Southern Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Is there a DIR-f class being offered in the Bonaire region sometime in May? I am moving down to the region, and one of the first things I would love to do is further my diving experience and skills through the DIR-f course.

I have looked through the GUE website, but couldn't find any listings.

Also, would I have to purchase much to go through this course? I will list what I currently have: than explain what I would change, and than explain why I don't really want to change it at the moment.

I currently have: Bare Nex-Gen drysuit
Mobby's 400 weight Thinsulate u/w
Zeagle Tech BCD
Scubapro Mark 5 Reg with US Divers Octo
Aqulaung Blades
Bare Trek Boots
US Divers Look mask
C8 light and 2 q40 lights attached to mask
SPG clipped off at left hip, use
Sherwood Logic wrist-mounted computer as
depth gauge and bottom timer.

Now, i have dove previously in a back plate, and with a long hose and canister light configuration - oh god was it easy to dive and stay trim... However, out of my current setup I dont' really want to change much of anything (except I would like to change the hoses). My reasoning behind this is economic driven (I just finished 2 undergraduate degrees, becoming a scuba instructor and I'm moving to Bonaire).

If anyone can help me with these questions that would be great.

Thanks,
Scuba m

Here is a link for info on DIRf (looks they're calling it "Essentials of Recreational DIR Workshop" now) and equipment requirements.
Click on "X-Education" to enter, then navigate via the menu bar.
Click on "road show" for info on the guys who travel:
http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

Equipment requirements directly swiped from the site:
5thD:
Equipment Specifications

DIR's equipment configuration is designed to be simple, efficient, and consistent. To get the most from your class it is advisable that you take the course in a complete DIR style system. To better assist you in preparing for class, we have listed below our suggested equipment lists for the class. Please consult with us if you have further questions about your equipment needs.

* Back plate BC System
o SS or Aluminum Back plate w/ web harness and hardware
o Back inflate style wing.
* At least one depth-measuring device
* At least one time-keeping device
* Fins: non-split variety
* At least one cutting device
* X-notes or Wetnotes
* One spool with 100 feet of line
* One surface marker or lift bag
* Exposure suit appropriate for the environment you will be diving in
* Regulators & DIR Hose Configuration
o 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose
o 22 or 24" Necklace Regulator Hose
o 24 or 26" SPG hose
* Suggested Accessories (not required, just nice if available for you):
o BC mounted canister dive light w/ Goodman handle or long hose catch such as a knife pouch.
* Cylinders
o Single tank configuration with K, H, or Y valve (need 2 per day of diving)
o Double tank configuration (1 per day of diving)
o No stage or decompression bottle is necessary for this workshop.

scuba_martini:
Is there a DIR-f class being offered in the Bonaire region sometime in May? I am moving down to the region, and one of the first things I would love to do is further my diving experience and skills through the DIR-f course.

Also, would I have to purchase much to go through this course? I will list what I currently have: than explain what I would change, and than explain why I don't really want to change it at the moment.

Zeagle Tech BCD
Aqulaung Blades
Bare Trek Boots
US Divers Look mask

Now, i have dove previously in a back plate, and with a long hose and canister light configuration - oh god was it easy to dive and stay trim... However, out of my current setup I dont' really want to change much of anything (except I would like to change the hoses). My reasoning behind this is economic driven (I just finished 2 undergraduate degrees, becoming a scuba instructor and I'm moving to Bonaire).

Thanks,
Scuba m

The best thing to do would be to contact Mike Kane and see about setting up a class for your self down in Bonaire. His user name here on Scuba Board MHK and he's very easy to work with.

Good luck,

scuba_martini:

Zeagle Tech BCD
Aqulaung Blades
Bare Trek Boots
US Divers Look mask

Thanks,
Scuba m

Check with Benji Schaub at benji@freefalldivers.com.
Benji has lived and worked on Bonaire for a number of
years.

Benji has taken a few GUE courses (teammate of mine during
the San Diego Tech 2 course in January), and is working to
bring GUE DIR-F and Tech 1 courses to Bonaire. He would
also have info on DIR Resources on Bonaire.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom