DIR People ticked me off again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Can you elaborate on why it's undesirable to break the perfect horizontal trim for even a couple seconds to facilitate a proper look (other than it doesn't look nearly as cool ;-) ?

PS My apologies to all. I'm not intending to hijack thread...just curious.

Try turning your head upside down, you really can't look up where the SMB is gonna go (unless you're Linda Blair). Rather than give a quick over the shoulder glance that really isn't accomplishing much since there are still some pretty big blind spots, work together with your buddies on the SMB shoot - even when you have all the physical elements in your hands as shown. Your buddy (in the cameraman's position) should be able to effortless see 100% above and around you, at least to the limit of visibility. Let them do the job of ensuring nobody's above you. If they aren't in position to give you a "go ahead and shoot the SMB" signal then they are someplace they shouldn't be, like above you. Whether you can see all of them or whatever, get back into reasonable position and communication before launching SMBs.

Personally I think this is a vastly better topic for discussion than whether or not you can pre-rig SMBs and spools in Fundies or not. And its a good example of the kinds of nuances distinguishing the 2 "DIR" agencies in the US at least. I'm not sure what ISE is teaching in this area.

shooting a bag into another team, or into the wreck isn't optimal.

if you fail to notice that you're in a bad place to shoot the bag its a failure, and if your buddies fail to notice that you're in a bad place to shoot the bag that's also a failure.

Try turning your head upside down, you really can't look up where the SMB is gonna go (unless you're Linda Blair). Rather than give a quick over the shoulder glance that really isn't accomplishing much since there are still some pretty big blind spots, work together with your buddies on the SMB shoot - even when you have all the physical elements in your hands as shown. Your buddy (in the cameraman's position) should be able to effortless see 100% above and around you, at least to the limit of visibility. Let them do the job of ensuring nobody's above you. If they aren't in position to give you a "go ahead and shoot the SMB" signal then they are someplace they shouldn't be, like above you. Whether you can see all of them or whatever, get back into reasonable position and communication before launching SMBs.

Personally I think this is a vastly better topic for discussion than whether or not you can pre-rig SMBs and spools in Fundies or not. And its a good example of the kinds of nuances distinguishing the 2 "DIR" agencies in the US at least. I'm not sure what ISE is teaching in this area.

Thanks again rjack for a good reply. I'd have to agree that if you're constrained to remaining perfectly horizontal that it would difficult to view what's above you. I'm not 100% that's the case if you willing to work outside this constraint, but it's probably not worth rat-holing on this.

I think most would agree that it's probably not a good idea to deploy a lift device without first verifying that it is safe to do so. I can certainly buy into a team approach as you suggest. If I understand you correctly, this is the method taught by the agency which produces the training video above.

If this is the case, I think I still have a problem with the video. I still don't see a verification step with team mate before inflating and deploying SMB. I see a signal at the very beginning of the demonstration that appears to communicate "watch me deploy an SMB". However, the situation could change from this point to when he's actually ready to inflate the device. I guess I'm not seeing him communicate "I'm ready now. Is it OK to let this puppy fly ?" I'm not familiar with this protocol, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If this is the case, I think I still have a problem with the video. I still don't see a step a verification step with team mate before inflating and deploying SMB. I see a signal at the very beginning of the demonstration that appears to communicate "watch me deploy an SMB". However, the situation could change from this point to when he's actually ready to inflate the device. I guess I'm not seeing him communicate "I'm ready now. Is it OK to let this puppy fly ?" I'm not familiar with this protocol, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's no overhead check, and no team signal given; you're not missing anything in the video. I don't know what UTD's current SMB-deploy drill procedure is, but for purposes of actually shooting a bag, I'd consider this an oversight, or perhaps the team has already verified overhead clearance before the drill formally begins.

Bottom line is, it's good for the team to make sure they haven't drifted under an obstacle (or one hasn't appeared above them) before you let go of the SMB. I believe GUE's drill protocol calls for performing this check before you inflate the SMB, but you could easily do it just before you deploy, as well.

Thanks again rjack for a good reply. I'd have to agree that if you're constrained to remaining perfectly horizontal that it would difficult to view what's above you. I'm not 100% that's the case if you willing to work outside this constraint, but it's probably not worth rat-holing on this.

I think most would agree that it's probably not a good idea to deploy a lift device without first verifying that it is safe to do so. I can certainly buy into a team approach as you suggest. If I understand you correctly, this is the method taught by the agency which produces the training video above.

If this is the case, I think I still have a problem with the video. I still don't see a verification step with team mate before inflating and deploying SMB. I see a signal at the very beginning of the demonstration that appears to communicate "watch me deploy an SMB". However, the situation could change from this point to when he's actually ready to inflate the device. I guess I'm not seeing him communicate "I'm ready now. Is it OK to let this puppy fly ?" I'm not familiar with this protocol, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.

There are alot of little non-obvious tidbits in there which are not elaborated on and some which aren't really possible to show (like an "ok" from the cameraman's position). Its not meant to teach you via the internet how to shoot a bag and communicate with buddies. I believe the actual DVD has voiceover and greasepencil diagrams but I'm not sure which interration that clip was taken from - some of the older ones don't have that. Its a demo to show you the general expectations. Compare with DSAT's demo if you have that.

Last edited:
the gue ones are online too if your google-fu is strong.
I'm hesitant to post the link cus I don't want them taken down

the gue ones are online too if your google-fu is strong.
I'm hesitant to post the link cus I don't want them taken down

Yeah despite much encouragement to produce something like the 5thD (now UTD) videos GUE doesn't like that stuff up on the interwebs.

Yeah despite much encouragement to produce something like the 5thD (now UTD) videos GUE doesn't like that stuff up on the interwebs.
If I was making the money they make to teach, I wouldn't want it floating around free, or on a $20 dvd either.

I could post a video of me shooting a bag. I'm way cooler than jarrod anyway

[fv]564985517903[/fv]

Glad there's no bag shooting in a cave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom