DIR position on custom mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using something like a JAX or Seacure mouthpiece on your reg? They are sure comfortable to wear but I can see a problem if you have to donate your reg to someone else who doesn't have exactly the same tooth pattern as you do, like say,...... anyone else. Thoughts?

I'm not DIR, but you can certainly use someone elses seacure mouthpiece, its slightly less comfortable then a regular one, but its certainly doable if necessary.

Custom mouthpieces of any form are not allowed in WKPP, per my understanding. There may be others on the board who can respond from a more well-informed position.

The point is not whether they can be used by someone else in terms of being "doable".

The logic is that if you already have some form of issue going deep in a cave, whether its a seizure, bad gas causing disorientation (yes, actually happened), some incident involving a silt-out, etc. - stress is cumulative. It builds and builds over time.

The last thing you need, in a situation where significant stress already exists, is to create additional stress such as needing to donate gas and having the long ends of someone elses "Sea-cure" mouthpiece screwing up your ability to instantly insert and breath, etc.

If you are not in an overhead environment then your own comfort may be paramount.

But in an overhead environment nothing you bring with you is yours alone - not your light, not your gas, not your regs, not your knife, ...all of it is "team gear". It needs to be immediately available to anyone on the team who may need it, because you can never foresee every conceivable event that may occur or it's consequences.

FWIW. YMMV.

I understand the reasoning, but I don't buy it.

I have a seacure mouthpiece. I've practiced OOA with hundreds of students (including young teens) without a single complaint. I have the bite wings cut very short so it doesn't cause anyone to gag.

However.......the OP is looking for the DIR answer.

Tavi: I guess if you're not a DIR diver, you don't have to buy it :wink:

Doc Intrepid:
The last thing you need, in a situation where significant stress already exists, is to create additional stress such as needing to donate gas and having the long ends of someone elses "Sea-cure" mouthpiece screwing up your ability to instantly insert and breath, etc.

If trimmed properly, it is no harder to instantly insert and breath then a regular mouthpiece IMO.

Cheekymonkey:
If trimmed properly, it is no harder to instantly insert and breath then a regular mouthpiece IMO.

Maybe so..........but this is the DIR forum. DIR is what it is. It isn't open for debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom