DIR primary and backup regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't expect them to toss in a 7ft hose instead of the "standard" primary hose. I doubt it would be too much to as for specific backup and inflator hose. Then again I don't run a dive shop!

If you have trouble you can always order them from EE or FifthD.

Cornfed

Mark

>Since you seem to know a good bit >about it, could you please explain the >venturi effect regarding the backup reg >should it be too far from the body? (I'm >an aerospace engineer so I know all >about venturis, I'm just wondering >what it does to the reg that makes it a >problem).

I don't worry about it. Currently I dive Scubapro MK20s with G250s as both primary and backup.

I believe on all the current Scubapros there is an adjustment lever that detunes the venturi effect.

If the regulator were to start to free flow,
ie the mouthpiece is allowed to point up,
then the venturi effect will cause the regulator to continue to free flow until some resistance or back pressure is supplied (ie cover the mouthpiece opening with your hand ).

As far as a dive shop having the proper length hoses, depends on the dive shop. Halcyon sells the proper lenght hoses so any Halcyon dealer should stock them or be able to get them. Hoses are available from lots of other sources as well so it just depends on what the store stocks and what it is able to get.

As for as exchanging hoses, it again depends on the shop. I will say that if the shop is DIR oriented it probably does not have much use for the hoses supplied on a regulator or SPG gauge, so they will likely expect you to purchase the proper length hose. But it never hurts to ask.

Take care
Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

Back
Top Bottom