Dir take on speargunning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
What's the DIR position on speargunning?
I would sincerely hope that it's a big no.
I don't spearfish, not really interested in it. I don't see why you couldn't spearfish and be DIR at the same time. Why do you hope the answer is no?

dbulmer:
What's the DIR position on speargunning?
I would sincerely hope that it's a big no.

Seems to me that the question assumes there *is* a position.

I doubt there is one, at present.

There is only ONE thing, just one thing MORE adrenaline-pounding, heart-stoppingly, blood-vessel-pumping exciting than stalking a HUGE grouper fish at 200 feet with a powerhead while you are narced out of your mind, as your out of air buddy watches dumbstruck in awe.....

:censored: by NetDoc

I am going to enjoy look over the Atlantic tomorrow night and admiring the brilliant flame coming from the UK as you get charbroiled by all those Florida spearos come back Sunday night from their weekend of bloody fish-maiming spearchucking lobster-plucking killing orgies....believe me, I know first-hand.

:redbite:

dbulmer, good you started this thread in the DIR section. Interesting to see what they might end up doing to the outrageously spontanneous seat of the pants sport of spearfishing - we might end up with a course offering "Hypoxic Spearfishing - Fundamentals II" and Holgarthian way of setting up our guns.

P.S. There actually is a right way to spearfish, and plenty who don't have a clue and are a menace to society and themselves. But that is another story.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=482066#post482066 :wink:

If one guy is concentrating on stalking the fish then he isn't watching his buddy, so his buddy has to have a buddy and they both have to watch the hunter. Now if there are two hunters hmmmmmmm

DennisS:
If one guy is concentrating on stalking the fish then he isn't watching his buddy, so his buddy has to have a buddy and they both have to watch the hunter. Now if there are two hunters hmmmmmmm

what a load of crap.

crispos:
There is only ONE thing, just one thing MORE adrenaline-pounding, heart-stoppingly, blood-vessel-pumping exciting than stalking a HUGE grouper fish at 200 feet with a powerhead while you are narced out of your mind, as your out of air buddy watches dumbstruck in awe.....

...stalking reef-protecting grouper-kissing McFish-Burger-eating, PADI-aware loving divers whine on Scuba Board about why we shouldn't spearfish packing tanks. Hey....

And here I thought this forum was a troll-free zone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe that DIR and spearfishing are fundamentally incompatable.

DIR preaches, as one of their primary axioms, that you must always be aware of and available to your buddy. While the first half of that can be done while spearfishing, the second part cannot be assured.

If you shoot (poorly) a large (e.g. anything over 20lbs or so) fish, you are now attached to the mother of all scooters, and you're going for a ride if that fish so desires. No buddy swimming, and possibly not even one with a scooter, is going to be able to reasonably keep up with you and assist. If you go OOA at that instant, your buddy will be of no help.

For that reason I do not believe that you can spearfish if you wish to follow the "precise" tenets of DIR.

Folks,
Thanks for your replies. I am sorry it might have appeared to be a troll post -it wasn't intended as such.

Actually ScubaSean hit me with the most obvious point, do they have a position?
Believe it or not,I hadn't actually considered that there might not be a position. Good one Sean.

I think some of the posters got it right in saying that I don't appreciate the thrill of the chase so to speak. This would be true. Crispos has got me sussed though -

"a PADI aware whiney diver" - I like that one ! :)

My point ... if Uncle Pug's no-troll rule is to be worthwhile (and I do support it), then bashing other agencies shouldn't be allowed in here either.

Crispos should, by rights, have earned a vacation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom