Directions to True Blue in Rutland, VT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone have directions to True Blue in Vt? I had them once, but
lost them...

I'm originally form Albany, NY and know some of Vt pretty well...but never made it to True Blue - yet.

I don't know where True Blue is, but I can get you to Rutland from Albany.

Take 87N -> Exit 20 (Queensbury/Glenns Falls). At the light, take a left onto route 9N briefly to Route 149 East.

Follow 149 East to Route 4/22 in Fort Anne....Just stay on the Route 4 part. It will take you all the way to Rutland.

You probably already knew most of this, but I thought I'd help as much as I can. I went to college in Ithaca, NY and lived in Burlington, VT, so I had to drive this route close to a hundred times.

Thanks,
I think its down the road from a scuba shop...

All I know is it's somewhere around Rutland. The guys I know that know where it is tend to keep it's location extremely tight lipped. Now that I have my Cavern cert, I'm going to try to milk out the location next year...

Can I ask why you're looking for the location?

Spectre,
Because I thought about diving it next summer. I had a couple of friends tell me about the quarry when I lived near Albany, NY and I never got to go there and dive it. I had the directions from that scuba shop in VT at one time...

I believe the dive shop in VT can help with info on logistics and access rights. Last I knew, it was open to anyone who abided by the rules on where to park your car, and find the trailhead, etc. That may, however, been changed due to problems, etc. I dunno...

One of the the scuba shop employees offered to join me for a dive & show me around, if I wanted - which was pretty nice of them. Unfortunately, I never got around to it..

:(

I didn't know much about the actual entrance to know if it was worth it as a quarry dive... I just knew it as the cave.

Are there rules like in the florida caves? e.g. no lights if not overhead trained; that sort of thing?

Spectre,
That I don't know...all my friends were just BOW certified and not cave or wreck, so I don't know much about how far they 'go.'

Still need those directions?

I live very close to there and dive it all the time. There are a few different ways to enter the water including the Super giant stride. When I say super, I mean like, time to do a pre-dive safety check on the way down! Make sure to burp that dry-suit!

Anyway there's really only one exit (walk or crawl out at east end), so planning is important. The quarry has two main dives. One is "the shaft" which is basicly a deep hole. It gets wider as you descend. Bottoms out around 120, but there is one hole that goes to 130. We teach deep diver there sometimes. Therer are caverns and caves so you need to be careful about wandering into unknown areas. There is one huge cavern that you enter at around 80ft swim through and into the main quarry at aroun 40 feet, but for those with adequate training only. On the ledge at the top of the shaft, there is an inverted jeep cherokee to check out during the safety stop.

The main quarry is much larger and offers a more interesting "Junk dive" Add a clay pigeon to the stack for me :)
Snowmobiles, an old convertable, washing machines and the usual stuff.

Watch out when walking into the quarry area. Listen for gunshots. Seems that the locals like to use this spot for SHOOTIN... Yep everything laying around there has more holes than your local dunkin donuts. Don't worry, they only shoot at people with Jersey plates (just kidding skiers).

To get there from Albany go rte 4 into VT, get off at the "West Rutland" exit (business rte 4 or 4a) left off ramp to lights. You'll see a shopping plaza (in VT thats like 2 stores and a movie theater) on your left. Turn left at the lights (rte 4a west) go about 300 yards (the road curves to the right slightly). Then you come to a red flashing light (kinda a three way). Bear right onto "Marble St. continue about 1 1/2 miles theres a white farmhouse on the left then the parking area for "True blue" is on the right about 500 yards down. Look for the big boulders along the side of the road.

It's a little walk in to the quarry so you may want to bring a small plastic sled to haul your gear although it is doable to just walk in with it on.

SCUBA446, I may have been the instructor you spoke to at the dive centter, not sure. When was that?

Anyway hope this helps. If you are interested in a guide, I may be available. My email is o2scuba@aquatic1.com or scuba2scuba@aol.com

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom