Disadvantages of the spring adjustment knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Since Mares has no spring adjustment knobs on its 2nd stage regulatorss, I reckon there are disadvantages to this part of the regulator. What are they?

Thanks in advance.

i see you posted a similar post in regulators. the short answer is personal preferance. mares regs are classic down stream regs with no air adjustment valve. they have fewer part and are easy to adjust/repair

the inhalation adjustment on say a scubapro s600 properly adjusted with the adjustment knob set to as easy breathing as it can, should breath pretty close to the same as any other reg. and it should not free flow at that setting.

The other advanatge I would see is besides the ability to adjust the breathability is to custom it. If your in warmer waters you may want it fully out to make it breath as easily as possible. For some who do cold waters you may want to reduce the amount for a less likly chance of free flow. As you will hear it's personal prefrence. For me my primary was adjustable and back-up was not, Untill recently I upgraded it and both are adjustable.

and here my kid dives a pair of s600's and i had the adjustment taken off the octo so it just works when you grab it. i like to keep it simple. less to go wrong if somebody needs it and doesn't know how it works.

Why would you a regulator that needs to be adjusted for predive, dive, warm water, cold water? That is a lot of unnecessary fiddling around with a reg. That was one of the main reasons I went with Mares regulators is because they aren't adjustable.

my mares reg works the same in the cold quarries as it does in the warm waters of coz. i went this way and never looked back.

I have a Mares Abyss 42, and I have no need for a knob to adjust the cracking resistance.

Among the reasons why I chose a Mares regulator, was that the regulator automatically adjusts the supply of air according to the divers demands - no knob required.
And I have not been disappointed, even when diving in strong current - and having high demand of air. I have not yet used it during a winter, but I cannot imagine this would make any difference in the regulartors breathing comfort.

For me personally, the high quality, the simplicity of having fewer part and the use of advanced technologies makes me prefer Mares regulators over others brands.

But agreed, what "talks" to me doesn't have to be the only right thing for you. Take a look around, read reviews and visit you LDS to try it out.
In the end though, I do not believe that you will ever miss the adjusting knob while diving with any Mares regulator in any condition.

Best regards,
Jakob

Back
Top Bottom