Discover Scuba and Required Tasks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhmoore143

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Saturday I went for my Discover Scuba course. While in the pool, we covered the clearing of the mask, the "reach around" to get the regulator if it ever fell out of our mouths, the clearing of the regulator, both with enough o2 to blow out the water and using the purge button something else that I cant remember off the top of my head. He said we covered five of the 20 or so required tasks we need to be tested off on. I think the buoyancy control was one - because he had us basically laying just above the pool floor and wanted us to feel the "drift" of the body as we inhaled and exhaled. I think I grasped this pretty good since later on I was "hovering" in the deep end about 2 feet off the pool floor.

Just curious - does anyone have a list of everything that will be tested in the open water?

Buoyancy/weight check
50 m straight line surface swim with compass
free descent with reference line
Fin pivot
Oral fin pivot
Partial mask flood and clear
Complete mask flood and clear
CESA
Buddy Breathing
Remove/replace weights at the surface
Remove/replace BCD at the surface
Mask removal and clearing
Underwater navigation with compass
Tired diver tow
Cramp Removal (self and buddy)
Snorkel/Regulator exchange
Regulator recovery and clear
Alternate air source use, stationary and assisted ascent

Thats all I can think off/what book lists out.

It depends on which agency you are learning through. Also, it sounds like you're actually taking an Open Water Scuba course instead of a Discover Scuba course.

For an Open Water Scuba course you typically need to perform the following:
entries, exits, buddy tows on the surface, ascents, descents, mask clears, reg retrievals and clears, alternate air source with ascents, emergency swimming ascent, rescue of an unconscious diver from depth and compass navigation

That's most of it. Your instructor may include more skills for you to perform.

Thanks

Yes, after re-reading my post, I wasnt very clear. We went on the Discover Scuba to see if it is something we want to do - and yes, the remainder of the tasks are for the open water certification course - and we are going through PADI.

I find it interesting that "Cramp Removal" is listed. On of the things I encountered was a pretty bad "charlie horse". My DM told me to grab the top of my fin and pull back. Seem to work, but my calf was sore for a couple of days after. . .

After looking at the full list you posted, the Buoyancy/weight check, Fin pivot, Partial mask flood and clear, Remove/replace BCD at the surface, Mask removal and clearing, Snorkel/Regulator exchange, Regulator recovery and clear were all covered (although very briefly) in the Discover Scuba since we were the only ones in the "class".

Saturday I went for my Discover Scuba course. While in the pool, we covered the clearing of the mask, the "reach around" to get the regulator if it ever fell out of our mouths, the clearing of the regulator, both with enough o2 to blow out the water and using the purge button something else that I cant remember off the top of my head. He said we covered five of the 20 or so required tasks we need to be tested off on. I think the buoyancy control was one - because he had us basically laying just above the pool floor and wanted us to feel the "drift" of the body as we inhaled and exhaled. I think I grasped this pretty good since later on I was "hovering" in the deep end about 2 feet off the pool floor.

Just curious - does anyone have a list of everything that will be tested in the open water?

Why ask here, why not get the "20 or so required tasks" list you're interested in from the guy/gal that ran that Discover Scuba course last Saturday?....As someone else stated, it can vary from instructor to instructor......& good luck in your future diving instruction......

just ask the instructor - other than the optional skin dive, the list of skills required at a PADI open water is very specific.

jhmoore
One thing very important to note: you will NEVER be breathing O2 in a Discover Scuba or a Basic OW course. You are breathing, and purging with air.

If the OP is inquiring about what skills are conducted during the 4 ow training dives-just look in your training log book..All skills are listed for each dive in order...Having and USING a training log book is required for EVERY diver in class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom