Discover scuba dive with my wife and friends against my better judgement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why in the world would you ditch the wife, leave her in the hands of a boob, and then go diving? At the very least I would think you would make sure she got on board and could puke from a comfortable and safe location?

No parts of the story make much sense to me.

Good point , I was well aware of her going back to the boat as I was watching from the rope and at that point I had a decision to make and that was go back to the boat with her and watch her be sick or stay with her best friend and her husband and I decided on that. I felt that was appropriate in the moment. My wife understood that as well and although hated being rocked around on the panga she knew me being there would do no good.

Good point , I was well aware of her going back to the boat as I was watching from the rope and at that point I had a decision to make and that was go back to the boat with her and watch her be sick or stay with her best friend and her husband and I decided on that. I felt that was appropriate in the moment. My wife understood that as well and although hated being rocked around on the panga she knew me being there would do no good.
I let people ascend alone all the time, but that is certified divers who seem to be having no problems. Thanks for the response.

Here's my 2psi... a full cave diver presumably has a lot of experience. If I were the experienced diver in that situation, I first would have called the dive for myself and spouse before getting in the water. If somehow, I had made an error in assessing the situation (and yes, we all make mistakes), I would have taken control of the situation and made an ascent with my wife. In this case, I wouldn't have cared what the DM was doing.
This is a very good point and I know I should have scrubbed this from the moment I saw the conditions. I did become pretty vocal about it in the bay and was told by both dm’s that visibility outside the reef would be better. It was a bad decision and I’m grateful everyone was ok.

I would love to know the padi standards for a discover scuba , because if the dive I described is indeed in standards I’ll be shocked.
Program Standards Depth Confned Water — 6 metres/20 feet. Open Water — 12 metres/40 feet.

Note: A PADI Instructor must conduct the confned water dive for participants who will participate in the Discover Scuba Diving optional open water dive.

You must apply continuous and sound judgment before, during and after the dive. It’s your professional responsibility to conduct a risk assessment by evaluating variables such as water conditions, temperature, visibility, water movement, entries and exits, ability of participants, certifed assistants available, your and your assistant’s personal limitations, etc., to determine what ratio will ft the situation – reducing the ratio from the maximum if needed. Take into account changing variables and your ability to directly supervise and observe participants. Reassess during the dive.

PADI provides a method to report standards violations. I feel that many things go unreported because mostly, people do not know the standards.......

My DSD many many moons ago was off the big island was nothing short of picture postcard perfect, so think its operator/region/weather/DM/Instructor dependent.

That being said, that experience sounded horrible.

The problem is not going a few feet deeper, it is more subjective criteria, such as sea state, visibility, professionalism toward students, and telling a student to ignore ear pain and push through with the descent is really, really bad in my book.

So you ditched your wife with a piss poor dm and continued the dive and she didn’t ditch you afterwards? Seems like you both have poor judgment.
she must love him or something. LOL, I thought I was harsh, damn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom