Discovering shipwrecks from your desktop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
in the "Wreck or Rock" post I talked about using online open source resources to locate wrecks and try and characterize them. A lot of you were interested in the process I use for this and so I have put together the first of two videos on it. In the first video we will look at using Google Earth, importing data from open source databases, and verifying wrecks with the NOAA bathymetry site. In the second video, we will learn how to export data from the bathymetry site back into Google Earth and use the tools in GE to learn more about targets.

Links mentioned in the video:

Google Earth: earth.google.com

AWOIS and ENC databases: nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/data/wrecks-and-obstructions.html

Bathymetry data: ncei.noaa.gov/maps/bathymetry/

So, here is your homework. Using the tools in the video, find and document a wreck near you, or one you would like to dive on and post it to this thread. Questions are always welcome!

Nice!

Found a shipwreck here the other day

111.JPG

Had some help

PRG-1373-18-17.jpeg

I use arcgis and arcgis Earth. You can load any georeferenced files you may have or search the extensive collection already available.

I've used arcgis, but Google Earth has enough wrecks and reefs to keep me busy for a long time. I love that you can zoom in underwater to get a 3D image with exact coordinates. It makes finding an anchor spot very easy.

Caissons.jpg

Caissons.jpg

Cool, I've added that to my "watch later".

Does ArcGIS do GeoTIFF? There is a section on the bathymetry page that says you can export parts of that database as GeoTIFF files, but that is way above my knowledge. That said, if someone knows how to do that perhaps we could collaborate on a future video.

Geotiff, .bag and acs/xyz files have all worked for me. Can overlay gpx as well.

Publicly available bathymetric surveys will put me out of business, poor fishes.

Back
Top Bottom