Disentanglement Drills: Manuals: Military Methodology?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've always figured that a possible entanglement would always be a fairly unique
to the moment at hand kind of thing, but...

I wondered if SEAL team manuals or other military manuals, or Police Safety/Recovery Divers manuals show detailed step by step approaches to reacting to and cutting away
entanglements? Maybe showing "yoga like" positions and buoyancy tips to achieve them in order to try cutting away line wrapping you from behind, etc.
Tricks to feel by hand which direction your wrapped (with gloves on), getting out of your rig while entangled, etc.

It would seem that you'd be screwed if both arms were entangled. Wondered if there were "methods" for unwrapping yourself without being able to reach a cutting tool.

Prioritorizing which multi-entanglements to cut away lst and why?

Just wondered... Have never seen anything like that in the couple of (one?) existing Solo Diving Book available to the general public. A discussion of solo diver's accounts regarding how they got out of a particularly difficult entanglement situation could be a very interesting thread. Maybe even a "sticky" idea?

Thanks.

The first thing to do is stop and remain still as soon as you realize you may be entangled, access the situation and try to determine what is the best way to proceed to extricate yourself.

As Captain says, the key thing is to STOP!

Then in most cases, the entanglement can simply be moved aside, which is much easier and safer than cutting.

If you don't know what is hung up, check your tank valve and 1st stage area.

Inflate the BC, do 3 barrel rolls and two somersaults and if you are not free just start slashing away with the knife!

Actual first step is to avoid situations where entanglement possibilities exist. Choose your routes and sites carefully, make sure your cutting tools are accessible with either hand, and most of all be sure you have the ACME personal teleporter on your utility belt Batman!

Personally I have not seen or heard about any special rescue drills that cover entanglements. I keep thinking that there must be something.
I was going to a post a thread and ask about the subject myself but now we have one.

I was actually thinking about having "one" of my buddys wrap me up in a few ways with fishing line and small ropes and test some methods and tools out. You could even do it yourself topside as well to some degree.

I'm sure that if I posted the topic in a general forum I'd get plenty of offers by people that wanted to wrap me in a cocoon and leave me to struggle. They would call me foolish for even thinking of doing such a thing outside the strict controled confines of a 5 Star dive course offering.
They would offer no usefull advice just lofty armchair diver admonishments
and attempt to frighten me about becoming a line nested clog stopping up the hole in the drain in the bottom of the Sea :shakehead

I like the Solo Forum. You can actually learn somthing here. :D

I look forward to following this thread !

Timeliner:
I was actually thinking about having "one" of my buddys wrap me up in a few ways with fishing line and small ropes and test some methods and tools out.

.............. :eyebrow:

STOP--Breath--Think--ACT

EMT shears are the best thing for having to cut most any entaglement. Wire snips work as well. It does help to practice.

Wow. This is the thread that I thought had disappeared after the last site upgrade.
That's why I started the other entanglement thread... oh well, great sharing of experiences goin' on. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom