"disposable regulators" vs servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't get any ideas, Chris!

I kind of look at Deep6, HOG and DGX as anti-establishment brands that might even make you "look cool" (to use @jellycatsdad's words). Savvy divers know what to spend their money on (I'd say quality training) and what they can save money on.
i always have ideas, its just a matter of what ones I act on.. LOL

Don't get any ideas, Chris!

I kind of look at Deep6, HOG and DGX as anti-establishment brands that might even make you "look cool" (to use @jellycatsdad's words). Savvy divers know what to spend their money on (I'd say quality training) and what they can save money on.
To me, I see it almost like tools - and guys in the trade are very tribal about the brands of tools they use. Deep6/HOG/DGX are almost like Harbor Freight’s recent efforts(Icon and Bauer) - the bros laugh it off but the ones who own their tools say it works as well as the big boys at a fraction of the price and there’s no BS. My instructor raves about his Deep6 regs and I’ve held a HOG first stage - it feels like a quality piece. I’ll say this - I was looking at an Expedition computer if I didn’t get my DeepBlu issue resolved. It’s a damn nice computer for the price. It’s almost like how in cycling, there’s upstarts like Canyon giving the status quo(Specialized and Trek) a run for the money.

And most of the dive influencers I follow are fans of the big blue S. They make great stuff but the price…

@jellycatsdad - if you're into branded gear (e.g., usual suspects like Apex), check out Scubagaskets. I am not affiliated and shipping costs will bite you. However, you wanted to look cool ;-)

they’re in Europe though. Thankfully, there’s a Parker dealer as well as a Grainger near me - and there’s always Fastenal or McMaster-Carr for O-rings.

To me, I see it almost like tools - and guys in the trade are very tribal about the brands of tools they use. Deep6/HOG/DGX are almost like Harbor Freight’s recent efforts(Icon and Bauer) - the bros laugh it off but the ones who own their tools say it works as well as the big boys at a fraction of the price and there’s no BS. My instructor raves about his Deep6 regs and I’ve held a HOG first stage - it feels like a quality piece. I’ll say this - I was looking at an Expedition computer if I didn’t get my DeepBlu issue resolved. It’s a damn nice computer for the price. It’s almost like how in cycling, there’s upstarts like Canyon giving the status quo(Specialized and Trek) a run for the money.

And most of the dive influencers I follow are fans of the big blue S. They make great stuff but the price…
Not a good comparison. HF stuff is nearly all made in the PRC, while Deep 6 et al are made in Taiwan. The better comp when it comes to tools would be something labeled Carlyle, Matco or SK but manufactured in Taiwan by Kabo Tools.

Deep 6 actually goes a step beyond with the Signature regs since cerich designed the reg, instead of just rebranding something that's already being made (which may be an earlier design of his?).

Not a good comparison. HF stuff is nearly all made in the PRC, while Deep 6 et al are made in Taiwan. The better comp when it comes to tools would be something labeled Carlyle, Matco or SK but actually make in Taiwan by Kabo Tools.

Deep 6 actually goes a step beyond with the Signature regs since cerich designed the reg, instead of just rebranding something that's already being made (which may be an earlier design of his?).
Ok, that’s a better comparision - and even Snap-On has tools made in Taiwan or China by another company.

Yea, I was under the impression if it wasn’t from the main 3/4 brands, it was made by IST in Taiwan but based on older Scubapro or Aqualung designs. Or so what a retired shop owner tells me.

Ok, that’s a better comparision - and even Snap-On has tools made in Taiwan or China by another company.

Yea, I was under the impression if it wasn’t from the main 3/4 brands, it was made by IST in Taiwan but based on older Scubapro or Aqualung designs. Or so what a retired shop owner tells me.
The knockoff accusation was true once upon a time and they still have those lines for resellers who want them, but the primary Taiwanese ODM/OEM companies also produce more modern designs. Quoting Chris from a 2018 thread:

WMD used to supply ODS with parts, then went into making stuff for them to sell.

When that happened the lines were pretty much identical (go figure eh)

Since then both have evolved and changed and neither are only doing knock offs. In fact I know that ODS hates doing knock offs but many of their customers want knock offs. True story, their second stage RG11 was their worst selling reg until I made some improvements on it and sold with HOG, now it is by far their best selling and is sold with about a dozen brands logo on it. Nobody has the exclusive rights to it but some have their own molds for the front cover that are exclusive and then Deep 6 has our exclusive Turbine poppet.

First stages you'll see the Hog D3 and Deep 6 signature are very similar, that would be a me thing. You'll also see nobody else has it and it isn't a "knock off" of any reg on the market. Did some features get inspired by other regs, of course.

For example you can take a look at WMD's or ODS' product lists, but of course they won't include stuff made exclusively for single resellers:

W.M.D-Products

That's..honest. I'm curious, is your vanity not met with any of those brands because of the price point? In other words, if a Deep 6 reg was $1,500 bucks (with whatever "reasons" to be that expensive) would you feel better to be seen diving it? Or is there also a marketing component such as seeing the brand in more dive media? (which by itself would push the price WAY up)

I know many folks that have dived, serviced and enjoyed their Deep 6 regs, then a few years later switch to a "major brand" and tell me honestly that they felt our reg performed as well or better "but", followed by "my team dives xx" when being diplomatic or the more honest "my dive buddies called me cheap".
I’ll be honest - my vanity is that a Scubapro S/G series reg just looks… cool. And I might be judged for what I dive(thankfully, not yet). Kinda like how a Snap-On wrench or a Milwaukee M12/18 Fuel power tool has that “look”.

However, to your second point I know someone who recently got a set of Signature regs and he raves about them. Especially the serviceability aspect. And I admit, I’ve checked out the service documentation - it’s good and IMO against the grain of “authorized techs only”. I really like that.

However, to your second point I know someone who recently got a set of Signature regs and he raves about them. Especially the serviceability aspect. And I admit, I’ve checked out the service documentation - it’s good and IMO against the grain of “authorized techs only”. I really like that.
My first regs were from Mares. It wasn't for any particular reason other than they were a good deal from the shop I happened to walk into. My desire to learn more about regs in general naturally started with what I had and over time I collected more Mares regs and the tools, the parts and the knowledge, especially via rsingler's class, to work on them.

But frankly, it's been a PITA to work around a manufacturer that really doesn't want individual divers to ever open a reg and doesn't interact with users except through marketing releases. It's Mares in my case, but in the USA at least the same applies to ScubaPro, Atomic and AquaLung. Because of this, if I had to start over knowing what I do now, I'd definitely go with Deep 6.

You can't go wrong with Deep6 regs. They're very well made and the finish is quality.

Our hobby depends on reliable suppliers, Deep6 is one of those guys. Plus, they're US-based. Support your local gun fighter.

My first regs were from Mares. It wasn't for any particular reason other than they were a good deal from the shop I happened to walk into. My desire to learn more about regs in general naturally started with what I had and over time I collected more Mares regs and the tools, the parts and the knowledge, especially via rsingler's class, to work on them.

But frankly, it's been a PITA to work around a manufacturer that really doesn't want individual divers to ever open a reg and doesn't interact with users except through marketing releases. It's Mares in my case, but in the USA at least the same applies to ScubaPro, Atomic and AquaLung. Because of this, if I had to start over knowing what I do now, I'd definitely go with Deep 6.
With Aqualung’s issues, I’m not sure how long they’ll be around for. Around here, Scubapro is the main brand shops sell. Bob Hollis was a local diving legend but from what I’ve read here, support just isn’t what is was.
You can't go wrong with Deep6 regs. They're very well made and the finish is quality.

Our hobby depends on reliable suppliers, Deep6 is one of those guys. Plus, they're US-based. Support your local gun fighter.
hmmm, I might pick up a Deep6 Sig Series second to use as an secondary for my current setup. I’m kinda thinking about going primary donate or using a “better” octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom