Disposable underwater cameras????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghosty_old

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken those disposable cameras below there specified 10 m 33 feet max. And if so what happened? Did they explode or start to leak. Curios, as we are going to caymans in a week and this was given to us as a christmas stocking stuffer. I've used them for snorkling but never a depths below 10 to 15 feet.

I took one down to 20 ft in Maui and it leaked. I would not bet on using the disposable cameras for anything more than snorkling.

The one I tried did not leak, however at about 35fsw the film advance knob wouldn't turn and you could tell the housing wasn't gonna take much more pressure.

-Crispy

I just took two of them to the Solomon Islands. They worked down to about 14 m. After that the trigger would not operate nor the wind on work. They did stay water tight down to 60m though.

The main problem though, is light. There is no flash so you wouldnt want to use it lower than about 10 m for the light.

Andrew

I haven't had one leak, but close to and past the recommended depth, they tend not to operate.

Plus the fact, usually at any sort of depth, the light just isn't very good for pic taking. Although you can see everything, when you get the film developed the pics tend to have the "blue wash"...

If you want to use disposable cameras, stick to the depth recommended --- actually less is better.

If you want to dive with a camera, consider renting one.

DivingGal once bubbled...
If you want to dive with a camera, consider renting one.

I agree with DivingGal about renting a camera, but be careful. I would be sure that you rent a camera "turn key". Basically, they load it for you and close the housing, you dive with it and bring it back to have them reopen it. That way you are not responsible if it floods or there are other problems with the camera. It could be a costly venture to rent one, have a problem and have to pay for it!

It all depends on the brand.. I tried several different ones and found Fuji to tbe the best.. It will stay dry past the deoth limit and the big shutter and winders work well..
The Kodak one sucked the big one.. Not only did the buttons not work, but the pic turned out crappy too.. The Fuji ones are pretty cool. I'll have to scna some in and post them.. I would not use it in a pool.. I tried to get some pics of my friends first scuba class in a pool and the whole role was over exposed.. No wonder..they use 800 film and the clean pool water was just too much..
Kodak sells a high end one that is good to 100ft.. but its also around C$ 100.. A bit too steep for a disposable for my taste..
I wouldn't go on a Photo excursion with them, but as a thow away camera just goof around they are not bad.. and sometimes you actually get some descent looking shots..

I forgot about one in my pocket until I heard the distinctive crack at 48m (144 feet)..... I have also heard of some leaking at 5 or 6 feet!

The shutter and wind on normally stop working around 20 feet but then the light is no good for them any deeper anyway.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom