Dive 10a (a=aborted)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monlite,

I pointed this thread to you not to 'scare you' from diving but, to help you slow down a bit and learn from your mistakes. The last post from Doug Allen (whom I do not know) was this....

"Telling people to "follow the rules" is overly simplistic.....

Dive within your training and or ability...simple

Otherwise you might die."

Some of the suggestions given to you (such as not using a camera yet) have been rejected because of what you see as your experience overriding the suggestion. But, judging by the mistakes made from this dive, you do need more experience before taking on photography. Taking pictures is multi-tasking. Multi-tasking should be practiced after learning the basics and becoming comfortable in the water. The basics mainly with weighting and bouyancy. These are not mastered in 10 dives as you have experienced. Diving below 60 feet without training is another factor. What will you do if you are not weighted properly at 90 feet, working too hard, and trying to take a picture or messing with your camera..... and your judgement is off from narcosis?
We can all say theoretically what we would do from prior life experiences but, you don't really know until you are there...at 90ft. That is why going to the pool to just practice skills like taking your mask off is good. You will know what it feels like and be prepared. That is why taking things slow and getting comfortable will make you a safer diver when you become more advanced. You will be more prepared to handle difficult situations and it won't matter whether your buddy is more experienced or not.

Its before-coffee time here so, I hope this came out right.

My point is, take your time... enjoy your dives...

Kayla;

Thanks. That was one of the positive examples I meant to convey in this post. Aborting that dive while a little kid completed it was very ego bursting, but...

Jim;

I got the shutter bug long before the dive bug. I can’t imagine doing any interesting and/or new activity without bringing a camera; I consider it just as integral to my scuba setup as the mask and octo. I’m not rejecting your advice otherwise, but the camera is not negotiable; I’ve brought it on every open water dive I’ve been on. When and how often I use it will be dependent on my developing skill in the use of the rest of my equipment. My dive instructor didn’t say anything about the camera when I brought it on my first open water dive.

Well, he should have. A new openwater diver needs no extra distractions.

I’m aware of the importance of buoyancy control. I read that using the least weight possible reduces your air consumption by streamlining your BC and reducing the amount of air you lose from your tank in otherwise unnecessary filling and venting. I tried to integrate that wisdom in my last boat dive by reducing the weight I had been using. Upon fully deflating my BC I remained just at the surface with a full breath and when fully exhaling began to descend. I had problems at the end of that dive because I was too buoyant at the safety stop and had to remain head down and kick the entire time; therefore went back to my original weight. I think I’ve got my buoyancy under control except for stuffing last minute extras into my BC pocket, so I guess I’m already following your advice about the camera after all. One of my goals for this dive was to improve my photo aiming skills; I just can’t seem to get my shots totally in frame. I had a tactic in mind for this purpose, but didn’t get the chance to try it out.

Try practicing with your camera in a pool or in less stressful conditions. A tidal inlet is fairly stressful.

About Hawaii; I got the same impression at the time as you stated. That is why I said “instructor” and 5 minute beach class. That sort of thing is probably done no where else, but that was the popping of my diving cherry, so will always be remembered fondly.

I didn’t get to finish flight school, but I was nearly ready to solo when my spare funds ran out. The thing that is stressed throughout flight training is the importance of methodical and regular instrument scans. I incorporate this skill into my driving (saved me a blown engine when I lost an oil pump on the highway) and have tried to incorporate it into my diving as well. I don’t count kicks, or breaths, but I try to look at my gauges when I think 5 minutes have passed, I have changed depth, or my buddy looks at theirs whichever comes first. My photo darkroom experience has made me an excellent judge of time in spite of distractions. If I hit the lottery I’ll get one of those heads-up display masks and the issue of instrument checks will never come up again.

Part of my domino of mistakes was focusing on the pride of making my first dive without renting anything (actually my goal was to have a nearly free dive trip; impossible on a boat dive). I was so focused on this that I wasn’t paying attention to my physical state, or the other factors I mentioned in the original post.

Ed;

I’ve done just that. The problem is that I’m a Sunday School teacher, so can only dive on Saturdays. It seems that everyone else around here dives Sundays and works on Saturdays. I’m sure that in time I’ll find somebody online, or in the water who shares my schedule.

Try a dive club.

You have MUCH to learn!

A camera is perhaps the single greatest "task load" a diver can take under water with them.

Dumpster diver's observations are very relevant--spearing fish is comparable in adding task loading.

Back
Top Bottom