Dive Accident in the St Lawrence River Sept 15th, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know anything about this accident?

CKWSTV.com - Giving you more Online! Diver fatality in the St. Lawrence River Kingston News

Diver fatality in the St. Lawrence River A 40-YEAR-OLD QUEBEC MAN HAS DIED IN A SCUBA DIVING ACCIDENT IN THE ST. LAWRENCE RIVER.

- Newswatch Newsroom
9/16/2013

A 40-YEAR-OLD QUEBEC MAN HAS DIED IN A SCUBA DIVING ACCIDENT IN THE ST. LAWRENCE RIVER.
POLICE SAY THE DIVER WAS EXPLORING THE "KINGHORN" WRECK NEAR ROCKPORT SUNDAY MORNING ... WHEN HE BECAME UNRESPONSIVE.
THE MAN WAS WITH A GROUP OF 8 DIVERS -- WHO PULLED HIM FROM THE WATER AND PERFORMED C-P-R.
HE WAS PRONOUNCED DEAD AT BROCKVILLE GENERAL.
AUTHORITIES ARE NOT RELEASING HIS NAME, UNTIL HIS FAMILY IS NOTIFIED.

I live a few miles upriver (at times) and the Kinghorn is a popular wreck that I have dived repeatedly. Viz was probably 20 feet or so, temp at surface in the upper 50s, water temp 68.
A friend was flagged down as the diver had been pulled onto the boat unresponsive. Divers were still in the water at the time and CPR was being administered. They then they took the short boat ride to Andress Boat Works where EMS was called.
It took quite a bit of time (20 mins?) for them to arrive as Rockport is not exactly downtown Toronto, all the while CPR was continued. OPP and CCG arrived after EMS
As I understand it, the group was French Canadians in their own boat. I do not know any particulars re the victim, but was told he appeared young and not grossly unfit.
I do not know if it was an air issue, heart attack, etc, but a coroner's inquest will certainly provide answers.
My thoughts are with his family and companions.
Dive safely. Chris

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

The most recent accident before this was a technical dive on the Jodrey at 180 ft. the Kinghorn is in 90-100 feet.

The most recent accident before this was a technical dive on the Jodrey at 180 ft. the Kinghorn is in 90-100 feet.

I believe the most recent incident before this one was a non-technical dive on the DARYAH which is at about 27 metres. There has also been a recent death in Kingston.

I believe the most recent incident before this one was a non-technical dive on the DARYAH which is at about 27 metres. There has also been a recent death in Kingston.

Not to be a stickler - but the DARYAW (full name: HENRY C DARYAW).

It seems to have been a bad summer season up here, starting with the death in Cardinal a few months ago.

Its pretty sad in deed. I hope we can have more details in this accident and learn from it. Our sympathy to the family and friend of this diver. :(

Wow, I guess I have been out of the loop a bit. Did not know of the other fatalities. So sad that such a beautiful place has had so many recently. I do think there are more dive ops there now than I recall as I see them running to the Keystorm and America all day long.

I live a few miles upriver (at times) and the Kinghorn is a popular wreck that I have dived repeatedly. Viz was probably 20 feet or so, temp at surface in the upper 50s, water temp 68.
A friend was flagged down as the diver had been pulled onto the boat unresponsive. Divers were still in the water at the time and CPR was being administered. They then they took the short boat ride to Andress Boat Works where EMS was called.
It took quite a bit of time (20 mins?) for them to arrive as Rockport is not exactly downtown Toronto, all the while CPR was continued. OPP and CCG arrived after EMS
As I understand it, the group was French Canadians in their own boat. I do not know any particulars re the victim, but was told he appeared young and not grossly unfit.
I do not know if it was an air issue, heart attack, etc, but a coroner's inquest will certainly provide answers.
My thoughts are with his family and companions.
Dive safely. Chris

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

For the past two months I have been trying to get more information about this accident. Officials in Canada are refusing to give any information. New OPP head of the Leeds (Brockville) Detachment refuses to release any information beyond admitting that there was a dive fatality. She referred all questions to the Coroner in Ottawa. The Assistant Coroner had me write a 8-page backgrounder on who the Ontario Underwater Council is and why the Coroner's office should release information to them for use in their fatality reports. I did that, but, was refused any information. Don't know the victim's age, whether he was diving on scuba or RB or even free-diving. Don't know the depth / number of dives made by the victim or even if the victim was certified. Only information I have gotten was a bit of information from the Coast Guard and what was posted on this US based board. Did use Chris' info to track down an obituary in a French language paper in Montreal. Now know the man's name and age.
Not sure why the OPP and Coroner's office have gone to ground. Could be something nasty but more likely they just don't feel like helping (because they don't have to here in Canada). Any factual information would be gladly appreciated.

stephen weir
toronto, canada
stephen@stephenweir.com

snip, snip...Not sure why the OPP and Coroner's office have gone to ground. Could be something nasty but more likely they just don't feel like helping (because they don't have to here in Canada). Any factual information would be gladly appreciated.

Privacy laws in this province.

They usually are a lot more helpful, though. Stephen, I, and others of the OUC have interviewed many police officers, coroners, and witnesses, but this accident has been particularly hard to get info about. We have a bit more than what's been posted here and on a local board, but not much.

Back
Top Bottom