"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive gear goes for free on Sunwing and Transat as long as it's less than 20 kg. and the size of a normal 26" suitcase. I used to have a Mares Cruise roller bag, but I started to be charged for over sized luggage all the time. I now have a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler. It has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have scuba written all over the outside. Jamaican Smuggler

Last edited:
I have an Eagle Creek Gear Warrior 32 that I am very happy with. It is not specifically designed for Scuba but it holds plenty and is well built plus it is on the lighter side for its size. Eagle Creek Outdoor Gear Warrior 32

I can actually carry-on my BCD, regulator, mask, fins, booties, light and DC in the backpack that came with my Scubapro Hydros but I still need to check luggage if I take wetsuit, DSMB, etc. so I am not sure how much it buys me except peace of mind knowing that I have most of my stuff with me.

+1 on the Costco roller duffle with 2 compartments. $40 in my area. I also use an Osprey farpoint 55 backpack, it’s actually 2 packs in one in case your on a small plane and have to check your carry on, you can unzip the smaller pack for a personal item.

So would Stahlsac or Ogio be considered "dive branded"? They don't produce dive gear, just "gear bags". They seem to be good quality.
Yes. They would stand out like a sore thumb.

I took both of my dive bags and removed any identifying labels from them. One had a label I couldn't remove without leaving a hole; so, I painted over it.

I took both of my dive bags and removed any identifying labels from them. One had a label I couldn't remove without leaving a hole; so, I painted over it.
Good on you for doing this! I'm all about not telling the world I'm a diver!

@outofofficebrb That's a fair and valid comment. I posted my opinion because the same old statements about dive bags and logos always get rolled out.

That said, I find that most dive bags are badly designed. My best bag was one that was used for my Dive X Sccoter. Once I took all the internal foam out it was a great bag, just a huge interior with no compartments and you could throw everything in easily.

While everyone is different, I don't want separate compartments for fins - especially on the outside - or silly zip pockets which hold very little.

I do sometime wonder if teh dive bag designers have actually carried any gear

My regs go in padded bags (I travel with more than one set, and rather than use the provided internal straps I pack my gear and use luggage straps to bundle it and keep it from moving around the bags

I like the Stahlsac idea of internal vented area for wet-suits and boots etc, but yet to see one in the flesh. I prefer to touch and feel before I buy with bags

I agree about the fin pockets. Really, a cavernous bag, big compartment, is best for me. The bag I have is tarpaulin and doesn’t vent very well but also wipes down easily. Usually, neoprene that goes in is dry or sometimes 90% dry. I carry trash bags just in case but have not had issues not having the vents. It’s good in theory and is probably beneficial but I have not felt the need for it. Stahlsac advertises a wet compartment as well.

I've been happy with a Patagonia Black Hole wheeled duffel. Expensive, but bombproof.

This is basically their version of the Rolling Thunder/Base Camp series. Good stuff.

Not sure I am getting the whole "no dive logos" thing.....do any of you seriously think that a pack of thieves with access to your luggage would hesitate on or just disregard the "unmarked" bags on a flight to say Bonaire????? Doesn't seem like the lack of an outside logo would render baggage exempt from a thief. Are their really that many people that go to dive sites for "other reasons"???
I guess I will find out. I needed dive bags and luggage both and I recently ordered the stuff ScubaPro has. Looked at it and liked it at the dive shop, now waiting for it to show up. I am not sending it back and I am not ripping off or blacking out the logo.
I am surprised to hear the "no logos on your car either" thing too.....anyone care to elaborate on the negative things that happen as a result of dive stickers on your back window???? Not being facetious, just curious. It sounds like divers are being "targeted" for some reason. I mean, I wouldn't go to U.C. Berkeley with a "Republican" logo or sticker these days, but scuba??? Who's got a problem with that???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom