"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I am getting the whole "no dive logos" thing.....do any of you seriously think that a pack of thieves with access to your luggage would hesitate on or just disregard the "unmarked" bags on a flight to say Bonaire????? Doesn't seem like the lack of an outside logo would render baggage exempt from a thief. Are their really that many people that go to dive sites for "other reasons"???
I guess I will find out. I needed dive bags and luggage both and I recently ordered the stuff ScubaPro has. Looked at it and liked it at the dive shop, now waiting for it to show up. I am not sending it back and I am not ripping off or blacking out the logo.
I am surprised to hear the "no logos on your car either" thing too.....anyone care to elaborate on the negative things that happen as a result of dive stickers on your back window???? Not being facetious, just curious. It sounds like divers are being "targeted" for some reason. I mean, I wouldn't go to U.C. Berkeley with a "Republican" logo or sticker these days, but scuba??? Who's got a problem with that???
Just saying that having a bag with a giant scuba logo could potentially make your bag that much more appealing to thieves. I personally just don't like to advertise with logos or stickers that I'm a diver, that's all.

Also, a regular non-branded scuba bag does the same job as a regular bag does. Maybe a generic bag doesn't have a dedicated fin pocket but I just can't fathom paying $$$ for a scuba-branded bag.

Just saying that having a bag with a giant scuba logo could potentially make your bag that much more appealing to thieves. I personally just don't like to advertise with logos or stickers that I'm a diver, that's all.

Also, a regular non-branded scuba bag does the same job as a regular bag does. Maybe a generic bag doesn't have a dedicated fin pocket but I just can't fathom paying $$$ for a scuba-branded bag.

Fair enough, my post wasn't aimed at anyone. I was just curious as to why several posts seem to denote that there is some strange faction out there with a problem regarding scuba divers.
I actually bought the ones I have on order for their attributes as luggage, etc. I didn't pay more for the logos and if the logos weren't there I wouldn't really care.
I guess some nutbar could see the sticker and you could be "the straw that breaks the camels back"...he just couldn't take seeing one more diver, wig completely out and you might become a victim of some sort.

Fair enough, my post wasn't aimed at anyone. I was just curious as to why several posts seem to denote that there is some strange faction out there with a problem regarding scuba divers.
I actually bought the ones I have on order for their attributes as luggage, etc. I didn't pay more for the logos and if the logos weren't there I wouldn't really care.
I guess some nutbar could see the sticker and you could be "the straw that breaks the camels back"...he just couldn't take seeing one more diver, wig completely out and you might become a victim of some sort.
All good man, people like what they like. As I get more and more invested in diving, the more I want to keep my gear simple with no attention drawn to it.

This thread has created many different points of view and all without any condescending remarks. Thank you fellow divers.

Not sure I am getting the whole "no dive logos" thing.....do any of you seriously think that a pack of thieves with access to your luggage would hesitate on or just disregard the "unmarked" bags on a flight to say Bonaire????? Doesn't seem like the lack of an outside logo would render baggage exempt from a thief. Are their really that many people that go to dive sites for "other reasons"???
I guess I will find out. I needed dive bags and luggage both and I recently ordered the stuff ScubaPro has. Looked at it and liked it at the dive shop, now waiting for it to show up. I am not sending it back and I am not ripping off or blacking out the logo.
I am surprised to hear the "no logos on your car either" thing too.....anyone care to elaborate on the negative things that happen as a result of dive stickers on your back window???? Not being facetious, just curious. It sounds like divers are being "targeted" for some reason. I mean, I wouldn't go to U.C. Berkeley with a "Republican" logo or sticker these days, but scuba??? Who's got a problem with that???

Hi! Please read my post a few before yours. I’m not saying they are targeted but just something to consider.

Question for the anti-logo group have you had gear stolen from a logo bag? Just wondering about the thought process. I travel for work a fair amount and a few dive trips a year and see so many golf club bags, high end luggage brands, tools etc. coming through the luggage carousels seems like a target rich environment for a thief.

Question for the anti-logo group have you had gear stolen from a logo bag? Just wondering about the thought process. I travel for work a fair amount and a few dive trips a year and see so many golf club bags, high end luggage brands, tools etc. coming through the luggage carousels seems like a target rich environment for a thief.
Not sure if any the people who posted here have had personal gear stolen from giant logo bags-we're just saying we personally prefer not to draw attention to ourselves by using these scuba-branded bags.

40 years of diving all over the world with "no logos" on my luggage. Never had one bothered yet. I don't go to a lot of 'tourist' dive spots. I have had my car broken into in Guam with a dive sticker on the back, tanks stolen. I absolutely will not put a Trump sticker on my car even though I am a dyed in the wool Trumpster. Too many people have had their cars keyed. Driving downtown you stand a 50/50 chance of having a rock thrown at your car.

My dive gear goes for free on Sunwing and Transat as long as it's less than 20 kg. and the size of a normal 26" suitcase. I used to have a Mares Cruise roller bag, but I started to be charged for over sized luggage all the time. I now have a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler. It has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have scuba written all over the outside. Jamaican Smuggler
Does it have a marijuana leaf logo? Could be a problem...

I have not seen one directly targeted for theft, however I have seen somebody at Newark grab the first Oceanic bag that came down the luggage chute and head to customs without even considering that if he checked the name tag he might (and did) grab somebody else's luggage. One of the people in our group watched as a bag just like his went unclaimed and put the pieces together just before the other person went through customs. Luckily they were able to sort things out and everybody went home with the right luggage, but for a while and honest mistake could have resulted in somebody's luggage going home with somebody else and who knows if that other person would have ever bothered to contact the rightful owner.

Back
Top Bottom