Dive Boat Ettiquette Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyki

Reaction score
Okay, I guess we should have thought about this before our trip to Florida....but some things just seem to slip your mind when you are trying to remember to pack all the new gear and get ready to head out. Not sure if this belongs in the New2Scuba thread or the Travel Thread, but since we are newbies, figured I would post it here. The question is:

What is appropriate for tipping the dive crew on a dive boat? What would be an average tip? How much should you tip for excellent service? Are the crew's tips pooled and split or should you tip specific crew members?

The crew and staff on the boat we went out on were superb in my mind. Of course, it was our first boat trip and have nothing to compare it to, but I felt like we received top flight service. The staff loaded all gear onto the boat. Welcomed each person on board. The boat orientation briefing was thorough. Briefings about the dive sites and dive purposes were individualized to the groups of divers on the boat, different groups with different purposes. The crew was very helpful in the deployments from the boat. Great assists in getting out of the 4-6' seas. Fresh fruit snacks available for everyone between dives.

Our question was, were we tipping just our instructor, or all of the crew? Did the crew split the tips received or should we have been tipping each individual?

We had a wonderful experience and did provide a tip. I have also sent an e-mail back to the operation, expressing how much we appreciated the customer service that was provided.

tyki
looking forward to my next dive

Hi tyki,

The following is the un-edited version of the piece which appears in edited form in my "Ask RSD" column of the October 1999 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory; (2) An appropriate amount is somewhere between 10-15 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 15 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is, the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

To make a long discussion short, tipping $5 per dive for good service should be appreciated by just about any crew.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

it sounds like we did the right things then our trip....mostly wanted to make sure we weren't being clods, and that we would know what to do on future trips.

Thanks to those of the board who are so willing to share their experience and knowledge with those of us who are getting started.

tyki

We're going to take our OW certification class next week in Nevis. The instructor is also the owner of the dive facility. Any thoughts on tipping in this situation?

I wish the US would adopt a no tipping policy. Folks should be paid what they are worth by their employer. But, since we don't do that, then many of us (well...at least me) are confused anytime we leave our homes.

I generally will tip about $20 per day for two or more tank dives, if the service and diving is great. If a certain crew member goes out of their way for me, then I will try to slip them a little extra.

When diving in 3rd world countries, I tip more. The reason for that is that I have a lot in comparison to the folks there. It is good to share.

ages

Hi guys,

I used to work on a dive boat in the NE and we did not get a salary from the captain. Our pay was the free diving (we did make it up in blood, sweat and tears). We were tiped by the customers if we felt we did a good job assisting them on, off the boat, helping gear them up. We did not say "hey tip us", our captain wanted a top rate crew that took care of the passangers and if return, we got tipped. It depends on the service and sometimes the shop/instructor will tip the crew.

It is up to you. In the end you are rewarding a person or persons for making your diving trip a safe and fun one.

Eric

Hi ages,

The crews you dive with are lucky, indeed. A $20 tip on a two tank dive @ $60 (about average for Coz, for example)= 33%; @ $90 (about average for Hawaii, for example)= 22%.
Do you tip like this at restaurants, hotels, bars, taxis, etc., when the service/goods are great?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi detroit diver,

The guidelines on this one are even less settled than on tipping dive boat crews, but I have heard it debated on a number of occasions. What I have come away with is that when the instructor is also the shop owner, and therefore gets all the money charged for the training, direct tipping generally is not in order. It is, however, acceptable to show your gratitude for good service by taking the instructor out for a libation or two, or even dinner. Small gifts can also be given.

When an instructor is not also an owner, and therefore only gets a cut of the course fee, some divers feel a cash tip is acceptable. The alternative gratuities suggested above are appropriate as well.

No doubt others will share differing views.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I was heading in that direction, but needed some reassurance.

Jack

DocVikingo, now you know why I hate tipping. I wish empoyers would pay people what they are worth. I have never been able to figure out who to tip and how much! I do not tip in restaurants like I do a dive boat crew. While waiters and waitresses work hard, I do not believe they work as hard as most dive crews, nor are they responsible for life and limb like a dive crew is. My normal restaurant tip is $1 to $2.

On the other hand, for fun, I am a divemaster. I take out tourists in this area on shore dives. I do not accept tips. I get paid well for the fun, and I work at a real job to support my diving habit. My personal philosophy is "you dive with me your diving with a friend". I take great pleasure in showing you my back yard. ages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom