Trip Report Emperor Explorer May 5-12- Best of the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So... long ass flight, spent a night in Dubai on the way over and a night on a resort island before boarding the Emperor Explorer.

Meet and Greet- 5/5 Fairly organized, good communications, definitely wear hot weather clothes for arrival, airport is hotter than dog balls in August. Maybe a bit more information, this could be our trip leader not communicating, so not going to ding here.

Customer Service- 5/5 Absolutely phenomenal. A mix of UK/Scotland, French, Sri Lanka, and Male that I could distinguish. DiveMasters were absolutely top notch, knowledgeable of local area, put in 110% effort, with a smile at almost all times. Absolutely committed to safe diving first, enjoyment second. Constant evaluation of dive sights, questioning the customers for feedback, just can say enough. The food, drink, dhoni, housekeeping staff was also first class. We had two separate groups, ranging in age from 27-73.

Diving 4.75/5 Exceptional diving consider my time has been spent in FL/Caribbean. The night time Manta dive was absolutely stunning and unbelievable, even the crew was amazed at the numbers and size of the Mantas. Coral was bright, varied, and only a few areas of bleaching, fish life was amazing, pelagic numbers were a bit low, but did swim with Whale Sharks twice, cool. Current was challenging on a few dives, like literally almost had my camera ripped out of my hands twice, I dive in Jupiter and it was like the most current Jupiter and Cozumel combined could throw at me, definitely some new ideas on reef hook design.

BOAT- 3.5/5. Beautiful spacious boat, shocked at how large my room size was, however there were several leaks through out the main salon which were annoying. Note, end of May, the boat was going to dry dock for some lengthy maintenance.

Gear, Diving Assistance, and Dive Protocol- 5/5 As I mentioned, a large age of divers, and without came some mobility issues, so when needed the boat crew would help with gear donning and removal. Dive briefings were thorough detailed, and supported by AV aids. At the conclusion of the dives, the crew rinsed and dried all customer gear. Just exceptional service.

What I would change- 100% do the Southern route. 100% avoid the water when snorkelers are around from resorts, total no talent assclowns.

Overall Score- 5/5 Will head back, will do another Emperor Liveaboard. Sunsets are stunning.

Thanks for the report, I’m considering this boat for a similar itinerary next year. It looks like for April/May they are only offering the same one.

I had a trip booked there until I saw the travel times. Longer than my trip to Palau!

I had a trip booked there until I saw the travel times. Longer than my trip to Palau!

I just got back from the phillipines Sunday evening, my stomach churns when I look at the Mal Dives flight right now.

I’ve not looked at flights to Palau to see how that looks but it’s on my list for sure.

So... long ass flight, spent a night in Dubai on the way over and a night on a resort island before boarding the Emperor Explorer.

Meet and Greet- 5/5 Fairly organized, good communications, definitely wear hot weather clothes for arrival, airport is hotter than dog balls in August. Maybe a bit more information, this could be our trip leader not communicating, so not going to ding here.

Customer Service- 5/5 Absolutely phenomenal. A mix of UK/Scotland, French, Sri Lanka, and Male that I could distinguish. DiveMasters were absolutely top notch, knowledgeable of local area, put in 110% effort, with a smile at almost all times. Absolutely committed to safe diving first, enjoyment second. Constant evaluation of dive sights, questioning the customers for feedback, just can say enough. The food, drink, dhoni, housekeeping staff was also first class. We had two separate groups, ranging in age from 27-73.

Diving 4.75/5 Exceptional diving consider my time has been spent in FL/Caribbean. The night time Manta dive was absolutely stunning and unbelievable, even the crew was amazed at the numbers and size of the Mantas. Coral was bright, varied, and only a few areas of bleaching, fish life was amazing, pelagic numbers were a bit low, but did swim with Whale Sharks twice, cool. Current was challenging on a few dives, like literally almost had my camera ripped out of my hands twice, I dive in Jupiter and it was like the most current Jupiter and Cozumel combined could throw at me, definitely some new ideas on reef hook design.

BOAT- 3.5/5. Beautiful spacious boat, shocked at how large my room size was, however there were several leaks through out the main salon which were annoying. Note, end of May, the boat was going to dry dock for some lengthy maintenance.

Gear, Diving Assistance, and Dive Protocol- 5/5 As I mentioned, a large age of divers, and without came some mobility issues, so when needed the boat crew would help with gear donning and removal. Dive briefings were thorough detailed, and supported by AV aids. At the conclusion of the dives, the crew rinsed and dried all customer gear. Just exceptional service.

What I would change- 100% do the Southern route. 100% avoid the water when snorkelers are around from resorts, total no talent assclowns.

Overall Score- 5/5 Will head back, will do another Emperor Liveaboard. Sunsets are stunning.
awesome

Nice review! We are going on that boat in September. We are frequent travelers on the Explorer Fleet, but last time we went to Maldives they still had the Carpe Vita, not the Emperor.

Can I ask a couple more things?

How was the food? Last time it was pretty horrendous, mainly when they tried to mimic Western dishes absent any the ingredients. The asian fare was actually quite good, but rather limited.

Did you have a below deck room? How was the engine noise?

When did diving start in the morning?I recall it being stupid early despite only 3 dives a day.

How many dives per day & was it just the 1 night dive?

I think they charge for all drinks except water, could you elaborate on onboard pricing?

Thanks!

We are big fans of Emperor in the Maldives and more recently in Egypt, would rate all our trips almost exactly as the OP did. We did day dives with them in Egypt before our LOB, which was just as good.Their staff are truly exceptional.

Nice review! We are going on that boat in September. We are frequent travelers on the Explorer Fleet, but last time we went to Maldives they still had the Carpe Vita, not the Emperor.

Can I ask a couple more things?

How was the food? Last time it was pretty horrendous, mainly when they tried to mimic Western dishes absent any the ingredients. The asian fare was actually quite good, but rather limited.

Did you have a below deck room? How was the engine noise?

When did diving start in the morning?I recall it being stupid early despite only 3 dives a day.

How many dives per day & was it just the 1 night dive?

I think they charge for all drinks except water, could you elaborate on onboard pricing?

Thanks!

1. The food was really good (Scuba), it lacked some spice do some requests. Male food is much spicier.
2. Room was main deck, I did not hear complaints on noise. WHen I mean good, I don't mean Four Seasons or Ritz good, but no one complained.
3. 1st Dive briefing was 0540-0620, did not mind I am not an early riser. I think a total of 20 dives, some night dives. The manta night diver they said was one of their best, nothing short of epic.
4. They charge for evertying but tea, water, coffee, and juice. Drinks were $12 for the most part, beer $6. Drinks were quality, Prashan was amazing in bar, adjusted as requested and were good. Free glass of wine/beer with dinner. We are drinkers, including clothing, rentals etc, our bar/equip bill was only $719 for 7 days. Including Internet.

What I totally love, they are totally upfront with pricing. Transparent. Flight time wasn't too bad, business class on Emirates does not suck. I am totally not going to dig the flights to Raja Ampat in 2026. That is going to be challenging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom