Dive Buddies @ Monterey This Weekend? 7/16-7/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkyaffe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
((Cross posted to ba_diving yahoo group...))

All-

I'm a SF-based, pretty green, Monterey-cert'd OW diver with about 20 dives under my belt, all cold water (Catalina, San Miguel, Monterey). I've got my own gear, less tanks and weights. I know what I know, but for the most part don't know what I don't know (if you know what I mean). And I'm eager to get experience. Like my first night dive.

This weekend is my last free weekend until at least August, so I'm looking to go diving and my friends-who-dive email list is coming up short. My ideal weekend plan would look something like this:

-Drive down ass-early Saturday AM from the city, rent tanks/weights as necc and aim for 2 shore dives anywhere but Breakwater/San Carlos.
-Grab dinner somewhere in town
-If we're feeling up for it... night dive Breakwater
-Stay somewhere cheap in Monterey (Lone Oak & its hot tub?!)
-Get out on a 2 tank boat dive Sunday AM, Monterey Express
-Drive back early afternoon

Does any part of this fit in with anyone's plans for this weekend and would anyone dig a newbie joining up with them for a dive or for the day? Happy to carpool from SF and/or floor-crash Sat night, too.

-Ben
bky@benyaffe.com

If I can get my tanks ready maybe we can do McAbee beach Saturday morning, will let you know Friday. What's wrong with Breakwater if you don't mind me asking?

Norbs -> Let me know! I've been to Breakwater and Metridium Fields both for my cert dives and with friends five or six times already... so I'm looking to branch out to other Monterey shore dive sites.

Try to get to McAbee Beach early, as it' dead center of Cannery Row. You're likely to fight the tourists for parking, if you arrive later in the day. You can always try Otter Cove, which is just west of Lover's Cove. If it's calm (I mean flat as lake calm), you could try Coral Street, which is a little further along at Point Pinos.

I wouldn't do a night dive without adequate training or supervision. The darkness can create a great deal of disorientation and stress. I haven't done a night dive in a very long time (years in fact). Wouldn't mind doing another one but will confess to having a certain amount of apprehension at its prospects. Play it safe on this one.

c.

Yeah, I know it, re: McAbee. Torito is the mex place right near there, I think. I've dived Breakwater a few times and (with a background in compass/topo backcountry nav) the nav is dead simple (rock wall on one side, sand on the other), so I'd feel comfortable there at night.

Still looking for buddies to plan with or join up with!

-yaf

Picking up tanks today, I should be good for a couple of early morning dives tomorrow. Sending you a PM.

I would not do any night diving without training with an instructor first. Personally, I was in love with it starting with the first minute, but I have been on dives with others (plus instructor) who were really freaked out the first time. Not a good situation to put you and your buddy in.

kt, thanks for the concern. no night dives tomorrow am. i'm planning on being back in sf around 3p! might go with an experienced buddy later or might hold off on night dives until bonaire. we arrive on full moon... :)

If you guys are interested in doing a night dive at the Breakwater, there's a possibility that I might be in the area. If I'm around, I'm happy to help out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom