Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am no dive guru or anything, having only logged about 120 dives in 10 years, but I like most of all to buddy up with beginning divers, and show them all the cool stuff. I have a special talent for finding the small stuff, like nudibranchts or tiny free-swimming squid or pelagic tunicates for some reason, and it always gives me a rush to point them out to someone and hear them squeal with delight. It's fun to show them those featherdusters that zip delightfully to safety when you invade their space. Like Wreckwriter said, it reminds me of a time when it was all new to me, and brings back that indescribable excitement that I got when I first discovered a coral reef for myself.
A dive buddy is someone to share the experience with, so I'd muchmuch rather pair up than dive solo. Somehow the experience is more zen or something.
I never mind bagging a dive if my buddy is having equalizing problems or equipment issues. It is annoying, however, to dive with someone who is constantly crashing into you, or stirring up the bottom, or, much worse, touching and/or breaking stuff. For a while, we had a guy that traveled with my dive pals and I, and nobody wanted to pair with him because he was such a dive jerk.

exactly sue!

I enjoy diving with new people myself (even though I'm pretty new myself) :wink:

new people are always amazed when diving here in the greatlakes when I point outh the amout of miniscule life around them. Alot of people don't think of the great lakes as being interesting critter-wise, but you would be suprised at the diversity and quantity of life here.

diving with new people and learning new things or seeing things or creatures I've never seen before. I agree with Walter about picking up on new persons excitement.

What does my primary dive buddy bring to our dives????

104 steel doubles that require a crane to get him in and out of his rig and probably needed to get him out of the water if he were diving from a boat:D

hehehe just pokin' at ya CK

Is also my best friend and my wife. Donna is always fun to dive with. She doesn't like night or deep dives, but she loves shallow reef dives. She can sit and watch a one square foot section of the reef for the entire time we are down. There is a lot of stuff to see if you take the time to look.

Last October was the last time I dived with Donna. We had a great time and she led the dive. We were with an old friend of hers from elementary and high school. This was the first time Donna and I had dived with her. Also the first time Donna was able to dive with someone that was just "her" friend. Donna and Cathy had a blast and got to stay down after I ran low on air.

These things are the most memorable things about dives. Of course I remember the things I saw on the dive, but the people you dive with,...that is the most important thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom