Dive Buddy Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First rule, Never depend on anyone else! You are responsible for how long you dive and how deep you dive. A general rule of air management is one third out, one third back and a third up. In other words, turn your 100ft dives at 2000psi. Always monitor your air closely when diving to 100ft. If you err, always err on the side of safety. Follow this rule and you'll be back at the line or your exit point with plenty of air to make a nice safe ascent and safety stop.:palmtree: Bob

I have to agree with the conservative air management statements in this thread, I understand that with many different forms of scuba, there are many different needs and safety margins. Perhaps my relatively small number of logged dives keeps me conservative, but I consider 500 psi on the surface as pretty solid low. I would use that air only if I really needed to, if I had problems, or if I needed to finish a safety stop due to poor planning. But I personally don't trust regulators and gear to function well below 500 psi. What if your guage is off? Running out of air is a critical situation at all depths. I would look at dropping below 500 psi as similar to ascending well above normal rates and running a DCI risk.

In SSI (and I find their ideas about this logical, if not written in stone) the idea is 10 psi per foot OVER your 500 psi. That means a 90 foot dive (if you went to 91 feet that would also mean you should round up to 100 feet in my personal system). So that is a turned dive at 1400 or 1500 psi. 2000 psi seems a bit conservative for open water, in my book, but again I would stress that in all my contacts with more experienced divers, and all my several years of diving research (marine biologist) I have always come away with conservative simplicity in mind. If ending a dive at 1500 psi or more, depending on depth, cuts your dive too short - bring more air. I would much rather bring more air than suck a tank lower than 500 at the end of the dive. I also consider a pony or doubles a good idea in 100+ feet, or shallower in cold water like we see up here.

As to that buddy, I dont want to beat the issue to death but I would leave right away.

The air share makes me very nervous, knowing how flaky he was. Unless you were so low that you would lose stop time (unclear if you would have at 500 psi at 45 feet), I wouldnt trust the guy with the tangled octo for my air. Also, while I stick to a 30-20-10 saftey stop system on dives below 50 feet (my little decompression schedule), I would probably go directly to 15 feet if my air was low. 5 min at 15 feet with 500 psi should be doable, but also keeping in mind I would be ready to leave if the reg started to choke up. That may mean losing my belt at that point.

Waiting longer would have been very scary indeed - if he doesnt let you end the dive when you ask, will he let you share air when asked? That is a bad question. What if he swam away suddenly as bad buddies are known to do?

We know that all too often the bad buddy is a boyfriend or husband or pal from school (why are they so seldom women?) and the poor new diver trusts them and stays with them, and then they panic and die OOA. Glad that wasnt you at all.

I lot of good advice given in the thread. There is one point that I think you need to throughly consider.

After your buddy proved to be unreliable on the first dive, why oh why would you dive with him a second time? Call off the dive or get another buddy assigned, or get the training and equipment that keeps you safer in these "bad buddy" scenerios.

Everyone makes mistakes, the ones that survive them and then learn from them are the smart ones.

I naturally prefer to dive alone, its just my way, I like to kayak alone, snorkel alone, hike alone, etc. Sure its fun to share with people sometimes, but other times being alone is great. And in no place can you really be alone quite like 10 fathoms in dark cold water.

Cases like this simply convince me more that a buddy is not a 3rd air source, just like your Air2 isnt a 2nd :) A buddy MIGHT help you, but if you are counting on it, you are asking for it. Is that too cynical?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom