Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for excellent responses. I was actually surprised when he asked me to start scuba classes. He was very afraid of the water as a little guy, and didn't learn to swim until he was 10. When we were living in Florida he was 6 and was playing on the beach and got stung by a piece of jellyfish. From then until we moved back to Michigan he wouldn't go swimming anywhere but in a pool and even then would only wade and not actually swim. When his little brother started swimming before him he changed his tune. Then when we went to the Carolinas he snorkled with me and has really taken to snorkeling over the last 3 yrs. He decided this winter when I came back from an ice dive with a more experienced friend. I am hoping to get through Rescue this summer too, so I hope I feel a little more comfortable round about July. We will see how it goes.

In my opinion, let your son do his O/W certification. When he completes his O/W. You both take the AOW class together.

I have taught many young students. 98% of the time they are the better student and they exhibit the best skills. The younger students also score better on the overall academic portion of the class too.

Older students (adults) will tend to think they know it all, and are surprised to find their skills level to be lacking.

I would say let your son get certified, but let him experience the O/W class on his own. Then once certified you can dive together, and enjoy each other's excitement in a new sport for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 12 and 14 year old going for their first pool dives this evening. I understand your apprehension - it's your kid so the sense of responsibility for their well-being is that much more.

My suggestion is to just take it slowly until you both become more comfortable with your abilities. And both of you need to keep an open dialogue on your expectations so that it's easier to spot when things are going south during a dive.

Just a month or so ago my son (14) showed interest in getting certified, I had my concerns but they were quickly dismissed when he turned out to be far better than I thought. He excelled during his dives and we logged several dives in the following couple weeks after certification with no issues. Unfortunately right before our AOW I've now suffered a freak inner ear barotrauma and am out for a month or so. He is chomping at the bit to get back under and is ready to continue AOW then Rescue. He has become a fish and living in the FL Keys on a boat he is surrounded by water. My son is an excellent dive buddy and I trust him with my life.

I doubt it matters but I am originally certified with PADI does it matter if he is certified with NAUI as that is the nearest instructor? The methods and lessons are essentially the same aren't they? I am excited that he has shown an interest and I think I am gonna follow the suggestions above. I will have him go through his O/W without me there. This is where the PADI/NAUI question plays a role from then on how will we decide which agency to go to for further training?

Back
Top Bottom