Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm more then sure it will fit just about any BC on the market. I let my friend use mine last week. He has an XL zeagle ranger, and packed in the rest (regs,fins, wetsuit,liftbag,3shorts,5 shirts, & slippers) He went to Cancun for 5 days.

I'm intrigued by this bag and am hopeful that they'll be available again soon. A couple of questions that I have are as follows:

1) Was the "Destination Bag" ever offered?
2) Does anyone know when these bags will be available again?
3) Has anyone packed a canister light? Currently I bring along a Salvo 35 W HID in Pelican 1200 that is then placed in my roll-on. This always causes a security alert but after swabbing I have been allowed to proceed. However it is of concern that I'm going to get turned away at some point though I have used this method over 50 times including domestic and international travel.
4) Has anyone packed a Halcyon (or DSS) type of backplate and wing? I assume that one can not carry on a stainless backplate?

Appreciate any insights that can be provided.

I'm intrigued by this bag and am hopeful that they'll be available again soon. A couple of questions that I have are as follows:

3) Has anyone packed a canister light? Currently I bring along a Salvo 35 W HID in Pelican 1200 that is then placed in my roll-on. This always causes a security alert but after swabbing I have been allowed to proceed. However it is of concern that I'm going to get turned away at some point though I have used this method over 50 times including domestic and international travel.
4) Has anyone packed a Halcyon (or DSS) type of backplate and wing? I assume that one can not carry on a stainless backplate?

Appreciate any insights that can be provided.

From what i heard the Destination bag will be included in the 2nd gen dive caddy. Availabilty at the end of the year?

I am 6'3" so all my dive gear is extra large, BC, wetsuit, fins. I got a bulky XL Zeagle Brigade/Ranger in my Dive Caddy. I found that putting it in and really laying on it to help make it flat made a huge difference. Once in the dive caddy, lay on it and pull the straps down little by little. I was amazed that everything fit. I even opened it up and added more items twice because I still had more room. I personally didn't find the fin caddy very helpful, so I just left that out. It gave me more flexibility to arrange my XL Atomic fins better.

I took everything i needed for a 9 day live aboard trip to the Galapagos in my Dive Caddy, with one carry on bag that had my camera equipment, dive computers, etc. You have to experiment with it a little bit to get it worked out...but I would recommend them for someone that travels with their dive gear frequently.

Has anyone used the DiveCaddy with a bulky BC like the Scubapro GlidePlus?

Maybe their coming out with the new model is the reason I did not get a response to my email I sent them a couple of months ago. I was wondering if the dive caddy could accomodate a bulky BC like mine. Unless I can get everything in the DiveCaddy for a weeklong trip to Cozumel I don't see the advantage over a regular carry on and a checked bag. If I gotta check a bag what difference does it make if it weighs 5 or 50 lbs?

And, then there's my wife; now WAY she's getting a week's worth in a DiveCaddy so we take at least one checked bag and put our masks, wetsuits and regulators in our carry on luggage.

Having said all of this, I really look forward to the DiveCaddy accomodating my GlidePlus and the rest of my stuff for the week.

The Divecaddy should be available before Christmas with the Destination bag included. The price will be a little higher but well worth it.

You can place your orders now with a deposit.

Safe Diving,
Brad

3) Has anyone packed a canister light?
Yup, it will fit in the pack that sits on top. Here is what I packed in mine:

Turtle pack (small bag on top):

Mask
Dive computer
cell phone
itouch
kindle e-reader
10watt hid primary canister light
backup light
dive log/cert cards
notebook with pens, and trip directions, paperwork, etc.
misc items like breath mints, earplugs, chapstick, etc.

Yes, I packed an H rig just to see if it would fit, and I did a week dive trip to NC with a DSS rig (kydex). It worked great.

Yup, it will fit in the pack that sits on top. Here is what I packed in mine:

Turtle pack (small bag on top):

Mask
Dive computer
cell phone
itouch
kindle e-reader
10watt hid primary canister light
backup light
dive log/cert cards
notebook with pens, and trip directions, paperwork, etc.
misc items like breath mints, earplugs, chapstick, etc.

Wow, I didn't realize that the turtle pack could hold so much. Has TSA stopped you to inspect your light? Do you have your light in a protective Pelican type container?

I packed an H rig just to see if it would fit, and I did a week dive trip to NC with a DSS rig (kydex). It worked great.
Do you think that a DSS long pattern stainless steel backplate with the bolt-on weight plates will a) fit in the dive caddy and b) pass TSA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom