Dive computer comparison

Which dive computer to keep?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ap0phis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I just inherited 2 computers - an Atomic Cobalt 2 and an Oceanic VT 4.0. It has been a while since I've gone diving and am a bit out of the loop on gear. In the past I have had an Aladdin Air and a Suunto Cobra. The Aladdin worked great but just got outdated. I upgraded to the Suunto Cobra and had mixed experience with it. Since then I have switched my thinking to use a wrist mount and have a standard gauge set in case of computer failure. I wanted to get some opinions on which computer I should keep - the Atomic or the Oceanic.

Thanks,
Andy

So, do you want a wrist mount hoseless AI or a console? The Atomic RGBM algorithm is not as conservative as Suunto, Mares, and Cressi. It is not terribly different than Oceanic's DSAT.

If you inherited them, why not keep both? It does not hurt to have a spare computer available, even if they do not run the same algorithm.

I bought 2 early production run Cobalts, back about the year 2010 I think, beautiful looking displays, but nowhere near reliable enough for me....and even though it's 8 years on, the Cobalt 'problems' threads keep on going here on SB, so it doesn't appear reliability has improved over the years so I'd not buy another one. I'm sticking with my 'old' military grade Cochrans and trying out a couple of Shearwater Perdix'es instead.

I always dive with 2 computers, so I would use them both...

Thanks for the feedback. Reliability is always my main concern, which is why I keep a set of analog gauges and was leaning towards the Oceanic wrist mount. But since it has been so long since I dove and used a computer, I thought it would be helpful to get input.

I have one console mounted Air integrated computer and one wrist mounted AI computer.

I have backup if one of them break down, without analog gauges. I have an SPG in my SAD-kit, so if one computer break down during a trip, I can use the SPG as backup till I can replace the broken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom