Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 25+ years without a Shearwater and so has by far the majority of worldwide divers.

This is not to say anything against Shearwater, only that you don't need one to have a wonderful lifetime of diving.

I've been diving for 25+ years without a Shearwater and so has by far the majority of worldwide divers.

This is not to say anything against Shearwater, only that you don't need one to have a wonderful lifetime of diving.

Fair enough, I’ve got no doubt against most brands to be honest, but considering I’ve made some silly purchase decisions in the past, I’d like to own something that will be reliable and dependable, with easy access to warranty/servicing. Also key would be value for money. Ideally I’d like a computer that can grow with me from beginner all the way to diving wrecks and potentially caves in the long run.

I wouldn’t say I’ve got a huge amount to spend on a new hobby, but I’ll definitely say I’m fortunate enough to have enough to get started in scuba diving.

the Scubapro A1 is really popular in Australia (Scubapro sold out of it 3 times in the last few months), so I doubt I’ll have any issues selling it.

The SP A1 is also hugely popular in the EMEA region too. It is also much less expensive in our region than in the US.

shame Shearwater doesn’t have a large presence in Australia so I’m concerned how the warranty will work should anything happen
They have a pretty large user base here in Oz. I know a lot of divers and I'd reckon that at least 50% of them have Shearwater.

There's a service centre in NZ as far as I am aware.

shame Shearwater doesn’t have a large presence in Australia so I’m concerned how the warranty will work should anything happen

They have a pretty large user base here in Oz. I know a lot of divers and I'd reckon that at least 50% of them have Shearwater.

There's a service centre in NZ as far as I am aware.
Make that 51%

I have dived in many places in SE Asia over last 20 odd yrs. Shearwater users did not even made up 1% of the divers that I had met. And majority of them came from all over the world.
My work horse, Uwatec Aladin Pro -Nitrox is 24 yrs old and Shearwater would not provide any extra info that I would need for my recreational diving.
Save your money for another cheap computer as back up and wear both of them for diving.

On a local dive boat I was surprised that out of 12 divers there were 3 Perdix and 1 Petral and 1 Peregrine, max depth was 28M and all 5 on Nitrox 32% , I had one of the 5. Only 1 had a pony cylinder [big boy] , and only 1 camera which was a surprise also.
There are more divers using Shearwater then I suspected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom