Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of them...
Quite expensive, indeed, so out of my budget. Although on their web site they look nice. I love particularly the transmitter with color light showing the air pressure to divers around...

I have been using their computers for years now and they very good. I have friends and students who bought their computers and they are pleased with them too.

They aren't any more expensive than the comparable offerings from SW or others. Perhaps less expensive.

I have been using their computers for years now and they very good. I have friends and students who bought their computers and they are pleased with them too.

They aren't any more expensive than the comparable offerings from SW or others. Perhaps less expensive.
Well, their entry model iX3M [Pro] Easy is 560 eur, far too much for me.
A Peregrine is "just" 499 eur, still too much for me, sorry.
These devices are great, but I simply cannot afford them, also taking into account that at my age I do not dive very often (no dives in the past year, due to covid restrictions and other health problems).
Furthermore I do not like to make more than one dive per day. So my current Leonardo is simply "good enough" for the task, no plan to change it in the next years.

Actually Scubapro is relying on the most advanced version of the Bulhmann's "adaptive" algorithm. If you read the original Bulhmann paper, it explains quite extensively the concept that whenever the diver is over-exerting, with higher breathing, higher hearth pulse rate, higher blood pressure, the tissues saturate faster. Then during deco stops the diver is almost motionless, so he desaturates slower. Keeping the same hemi-saturation value during on-gassing and off-gassing is wrong. The adaptive Bulhmann algorithm accounts for this, and uses various "proxies" for estimating these over-exertion effects.

I can read German but I can't understand any of it. :D

Well, their entry model iX3M [Pro] Easy is 560 eur, far too much for me.
A Peregrine is "just" 499 eur, still too much for me, sorry.
These devices are great, but I simply cannot afford them, also taking into account that at my age I do not dive very often (no dives in the past year, due to covid restrictions and other health problems).
Furthermore I do not like to make more than one dive per day. So my current Leonardo is simply "good enough" for the task, no plan to change it in the next years.

Ratio has much less expensive computer, the watch type, than the iX3m model. The iX3m (GPS or Pro version) has a lot more features and capabilities than the Peregrine with no much more money than the Peregrine.

The Ratio has some great features but I just wish they had not skimped on materials as the Display and overall Watch design look little bit cheap. It really shows that they also needed a much faster CPU. Battery life is phenomenal and I love the Oxygen sensor option.

Ratio has much less expensive computer, the watch type, than the iX3m model. The iX3m (GPS or Pro version) has a lot more features and capabilities than the Peregrine with no much more money than the Peregrine.
I cannot use watch computers. They have a small display, and it stays too close to my eyes for being in focus.
I need a console-mounted computer, possibly with a large colour crisp display.
That is, at my age.
I can read the Leonardo display when console mounted, despite this is not a colour display.
For me a large, readable display and the console mount are the most important features I am searching in a DC.
Regarding additional features, the Peregrine is already far beyond my needs: For console computers, the air integration is useless, as I can just watch the much more readable analog SPG.
I just dive plain air down to 50m, where Nitrox cannot be used. Trimix is too expensive, and not worth the hassle, for the small number of dives I do (and I enjoy some amount of narcosis).
I never really thrusted those algorithm about accelerated deco with highly oxygenated deco stages: If available I use them, for additional safety, but keeping my deco times computed for air.
Until 2018 I never used a computer, I was pretty happy with the US Navy Table and my analog depth meter.
I did buy the Leonardo when the analog SOS depth meter stopped working, as it was cheaper than a new mechanical depth meter...
I did buy it with the plan of using it just as a bottom timer and max depth meter. But my 40-years old Scubapro plastic deco table also went broken, so I decided to test the computer in full deco mode. I was satisfied of the results, and so I was converted to computer diving...

It really shows that they also needed a much faster CPU

How did you know that? What told you that their current CPU is slow?

Look at the Shearwater Peregrine. They make excellent computers that are easy to read and operate. The Peregrine is entry level and priced accordingly and is not lacking anything. I have been diving for 18 years and had two Scubapro entry level computers die on the first dive. I also had one last for years. I have been diving with a Perdix since they came out. Best computer on the market in my opinion, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom