Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan on doing a significant amount of diving in the future I would buy one, otherwise, rent one.

There are great deals out there on used computers, either from a dive shop or a private party (i.e. Craigslist), but you are taking some risks - if you do that, be sure you do your homework first.

i'll echo what mike boswell said. there are plenty of deals to be found on used equipment. i bought an oceanic veo 250 wristmount for $200 for myself last fall and another veo 250 in an instrument console for my wife (new in box on ebay) for $250 for xmas. it's about $475 new online.

I am in the "buy one" camp. It completely changed the way you dive so you want to use one on every dive. You will pay for one pretty fast if you are diving on a regular basis and rent one.

Also, don't get caught and by a really inexpensive one that might only let you dive on air. Make sure you get one that will allow you to have a choice of diving on air or Nitrox. There is a good chance you will eventually become a Nitrox diver if you are not already and you don't want to be faced with having to buy another one. Almost 100% of the new computers sold today have this dual capability, but you can find used ones that are only air.

Want to thank everyone for their input. What a great site. I decided to buy one since I will be in San Carlos, MX this May and will also dive. Come down to 2 choices from my research.
Oceanic Veo 180 and the Mares Nemo Sport. Only a $20 different between the 2 ($200and $220 with free shipping). Would like to hear opinions. Thanks

Want to thank everyone for their input. What a great site. I decided to buy one since I will be in San Carlos, MX this May and will also dive. Come down to 2 choices from my research.
Oceanic Veo 180 and the Mares Nemo Sport. Only a $20 different between the 2 ($200and $220 with free shipping). Would like to hear opinions. Thanks

Not the best choices... but OK for a newbie... Happy Diving!

Glad you ended up with a computer. As pointed out before Cozumel will have you off the tables pretty quickly when you follow a DM. On my first dive there, my wife and I opted to stay above the DM and still maxed out our computers. We heard the DM complaining about his "faulty" computer during our surface interval - yeah, it locked him out for not doing a deco obligation. We then realized we were the only ones on board with our own computers! Whoa...

I'm not implying all DM's there are that bad, but be aware the depths and drifts can have you deep enough and dives long enough that multilevel planning is pretty necessary.

Great choice, glad you decided to get one. Don't know those 2 to rate them. But research and good luck whichever one you get.
For the negative divers on here, (not u offthewall) you should be more positive commenting on this new diver forum.
PS: GPS has worked for me for years in many different environs from mountains in NY an Yellowstone to deserts in Utah Arches NP and Persian Gulf. I have map n compass as backup skills but GPS tech works, its the user who has issues many times. Tech is here to help us an we should use it, the skills of dive planning should still be known but neither is 100% foolproof.

My wife has about 50 dives on her Oceanic Veo 180 over the last 3 years. It would be a good choice. Can't comment on the Mares Nemo.

I say buy one. You've recently been diving more, vacation you will be and appears you want/will be diving more in the future.
Renting for a week vs buying might be close. better double check all you dive numbers Don't bend yourself! 11 dives in 5 days is a lot of dives for someone who dosen't dive too much. Thats like someone who dosent hike a lot going into the woods for a week with only a compass no GPS :idk:. Knuckle up and get a computer, it's safety equipment; you can't put a price on it or your life. For the price you may miss a dive or 2 but I think it's worth it. Better to have less dives but quality ones than more dives but riskier ones. Let us know what you decided and why.
Good luck.

1. The classic line. "You can't put a price on your life" Well, apparently, you can. It's the price of a dive computer!

2. Hikers go into the woods without a GPS for a week all the time. Ever heard of a map and compass?

3. 11 dives in 5 days is not that much.

Cozumel is a nice place to have a computer because of the multi level dives, but you could do the same profiles using the wheel. And don't forget, the DMs in Cozumel do those exact same dives every day for years.

Buy or rent a computer if you want to; it will make your diving more enjoyable because you'll be able to enjoy more bottom time, but don't listen to this nonsense that computers save your life. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom